mod motor retrofit kits??

stackz

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2001
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
are there any companies making oil pan/motor&trans mount kits for putting mod motors in classic mustangs??

we're tossing around the idea of tossing a 4.6 of some sort into a 71 coupe but want to see what pre-fab options there are before we go to the trouble of whipping out the ole tig machine and getting dirty.

• Sponsors (?)

Not exactly a retrofit, or cheap, but Griggs Racing makes the Gr-350 Front end with a K member for the 4.6L. There are some pics here:

http://www.griggsracing.com/oldsite/gallery/70mach1/page.html

Depending on what your goals are there probably are some cheaper options, but I get the feeling that putting a 4.6L in a 71 isn't cheap no matter how you do it.

Mind if I ask why you want the mod motor?

EDIT: I don't know first hand how the Griggs performs. I hear nothing but good things, but I haven't actually talked to anyone who has one except for Bruce Griggs. I am looking into this option for my car as well, but would really like some opinions from someone who has the setup. I have asked here and other places, but I think price makes it a deal breaker.

Year One is using it however:
http://blogs.mustangandfords.com/6224279/miscellaneous/year-ones-dynacorn-track-day-car/index.html

I think I read they want $40K for that thing though.

mainly because we have a pair of mark viii's out back with good drivelines.

I thought there were a few companys that made the parts for this?? actually, thought I saw a guy selling his converion which was just a pan and the three mounts for pretty cheap.

I must be going insane.

mainly because we have a pair of mark viii's out back with good drivelines.

I thought there were a few companys that made the parts for this?? actually, thought I saw a guy selling his converion which was just a pan and the three mounts for pretty cheap.

I must be going insane.

Cool I was just curious sounds like a fun project. As for a cheaper better option there may very well be one. I haven't researched it myself I just happen to know about the Griggs setup. I am sure you will get some better responses from others.:)

actually that link is pretty promising. we could use the pans just fine as well as the universal transmission mount too.

only thing would be the engine mounts and I cant remember but I think it wouldnt require much to modify the mounts to work properly either. I think we had some 1970 cleveland mounts that we used in our old 72 fastback with a little wallowing on the lower mount holes.

I"m not a fan of Mod motor swaps in the early cars, but a DOHC swap into a 71 sounds interesting, especially replacing the intake with a dual 4 carb intake. Can you say HEMI? In Ford trim? Or better yet a DOHC Navigator 5.4 with a Superchager topped with carbs.