Modded Mustang 1/8 Mile Let Down :(

88modstang

Sep 12, 2012
Took my modded 88 mustang to run the 1/8th and came back disappointed.Got schooled by my buddies stock ls1 trans am which sucks.

This is my mods:

88 mustang gt
302 mass air conversion
trickflow upper with spacer
bbk equal length headers
bbk 75mm throttle body
bbk cold air intake
bbk frame ties
70 mm cobra map sensor
msd coil,wires,cap&rotor
cobra computer
24# injectors
msd 6al
underdrive pullies
190 lph fuel pump
gt 40 heads
tremec 5 speed
3:73 in stock rear axle
aluminum drive shaft

I could not get out of the 9's in the 1/8 mile
2.4 short times...spinning bad 1&2nd....need drag radials
mph is only 77 mph in 1/8th running 9.3-9.6
Was hoping to run mid 8s at least.

My buddies stock 99 ls1 trans am was running 8.90's!!!!
I know tires will help but 77 mph seems slow for my mods.

• Sponsors (?)

There are a lot of different things that go into making a car go down the track quick. It may be your driving, or it may be the car, or both. The potential is there for more. I have seen a different driver in the same car be worth over 1/2 of a sec. There are so many things that can cause slow et's that to speculate is............well speculation.

Yes...first time with this car,first time racing a 5 speed.I know i left alot on the table as far as ET goes.My 60 ft times are terrible (2.4).My hurst shifter sucks,missed 2nd gear at least 3 times.Im just shocked that im only getting 77 mph with my mods.

Yes...first time with this car,first time racing a 5 speed.I know i left alot on the table as far as ET goes.My 60 ft times are terrible (2.4).My hurst shifter sucks,missed 2nd gear at least 3 times.Im just shocked that im only getting 77 mph with my mods.

Let's talk about that for just a sec...

Took my modded 88 mustang to run the 1/8th and came back disappointed.Got schooled by my buddies stock ls1 trans am which sucks.

This is my mods:

88 mustang gt
302 mass air conversion - worth nothing in terms of HP
trickflow upper with spacer- Spacer - worth nothing in terms of HP
bbk equal length headers- Long Tubes probably worth another 7 to 10 HP to the wheels and more in torque
bbk 75mm throttle body
bbk cold air intake - worth nothing in terms of HP
bbk frame ties
70 mm cobra map sensor- TB and MAF sensor openings are mismatched restricting flow to your TB
msd coil,wires,cap&rotor - worth nothing in terms of HP
cobra computer - worth nothing in terms of HP
24# injectors - worth nothing in terms of HP
msd 6al - worth nothing in terms of HP
underdrive pullies- Might be worth a whopping 3 HP to the wheels. An electric fan would net you more.
190 lph fuel pump - worth nothing in terms of HP
gt 40 heads
tremec 5 speed
3:73 in stock rear axle
aluminum drive shaft

I could not get out of the 9's in the 1/8 mile
2.4 short times...spinning bad 1&2nd....need drag radials
mph is only 77 mph in 1/8th running 9.3-9.6
Was hoping to run mid 8s at least.

My buddies stock 99 ls1 trans am was running 8.90's!!!!
I know tires will help but 77 mph seems slow for my mods.

What's left? Heads, intake (with stock lower?), driveshaft, and restricted throttle body. Does that intake even facilitate a 75mm TB?

Concentrate on putting the power that you DO HAVE down the ground with practice and suspension mods. In an 8th mile, you should be able to stomp him out all day long.

You can have all the motor in the world but if you can't put it to the ground I'll beat you in mom's Chevette every time! Put a tire on it, practice your shifts, and I've never seen a 70mm map sensor but you could use a 75mm maf sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
I ran a 9.04 on street tires, best 60ft was something like 2.21 I think. Went to a mild drag radial and went 8.48 first time out. Get some tire and practice, just like everyone else said.

Good luck with it!
Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the tips,Going to buy some drag radials and practice.Also plan on getting the car on a chassis dyno to get it tuned.I bought the car like this so im not sure if there is any work done to the bottom end or heads.It does sound like it has a bigger cam in it.

It spins like its on ice 1st and 2nd gear,i dont wanna get anything too sticky with the stock axles and rear end.Im not looking to make a drag car out of it,i just wanna put down a respectable time for what i have.

Once you have drag radials, you dont necessarily have to drop your clutch off the line. Feathering it out and flooring it once fully engaged will work well and be smoother than dropping it anyway. With street tires, first gear is almost useless. But once you get that launch down pat and have a good gripping tire, I bet you will be happy.