modern seats

farmboy89

Apr 8, 2007
Can a 94-98 GT mustang seats fit in a classic without too much modification? i can't find any material on this. I would like to find a GT leather seat to put in a 66 coupe. Has any one else tried this or seen this done? Is it too tall to fit, or wide to fit? What leather seats would work, and look decent in the car?

• Sponsors (?)

I know people have put 01 Bullitt seats and 03-04 mach1 seats in their cars so it is possible. Don't know the specifics though. I would guess it's as simple as bolting in new seat tracks.

Take a look at both of those two seat types. Great retro styling and fit right in with the classic.

all depends on which way you want to do it. I'm 6'1, so I had to remove the seat riser from the floor to get the seat to fit the way I wanted. With it on top of the riser, my head would hit the roof with each bump.

You can go to http://www.dodgestang.com/March2003.htm to see how DodgeStang did his seats. It is simple and a good method for anyone that doesn't want to get their hands too dirty with adding late model seats.

You can also check this thread out http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=634678 and see how PJx5x got his 04 Cobra seats in. It is the method I used and I am happy with the way it came out.

Here is a pic of my 67 coupe with 03 Mach 1 seats installed via the second method.
View attachment 323898
Hope that helps.
-Edgar

I've installed the bullitt seats with a simple swap of the seat tracks.

I have a set of 03 mach 1s that I just bought that I will install in my 67 using the same method.

I cheat the bracket all the way to the front of the seat instead of reusing any of the mounting holes from the new seats. This lets me get the seat a little more than an 1 or so further back. With the slope on the seat risers...it makes it a perfect fit for 5'10'' (ok maybe it is 9.5). I also run a 15 inch steering wheel which prob helps. Very comfy for me, pedals are just the right distance, my arms sits on the top of the door with the window down at a very natural height. :)

I'm sure others have done it, they are great seats. But I think I am the only one that has posted pics up recently. I'd love to see how it turned out for others. Especially since my interior hasn't been wrapped up yet and wont be until next year.

Sorry....I haven't taken any recent interior shots of the bullitts and the mach 1s aren't installed yet. This is the best I have at this time

hires13.jpg

I have used the 94-98 seats a few times and also Acura RSX seats. The Mustang seats just need to drill the holes for the seat track, like it was said.They will sit a little higher then the stock seats in a 65/66, and im 6.0” , but it wasn’t bad.

I've done like the others have and just drilled new holes in the seat frame and used the factory 67 seat sliders. This is for 94 Cobra seats. I'm 6'0" and my hair brushes the headliner when I'm sitting where I want to. I'd seriously look at getting the seat risers cut down 1" or so before you get the seats in.

I'm looking at changing mine out soon to BMW E30 sport seats soon. I share shop space with an e30 nut and the seats are really comfortable and look to be not nearly as tall at the SN95 seats. Will try to post some pictures once they've done (whenever that is....)

well height issues aren't a real issue for me, I'm a staggering 5-8, my main issue is making sure it it wont hit the roof or wont squeeze my console. I think i might go with the Mach1 seats, they look great, especially matched with the rear seat. Any other seats look like a classic muscle car seat, i don't like the ricer look of the time.... to many punk kids putting it in their Honda's, and i don't want my car to look any thing like that.

I took all the lessons I learned from installing the bullitt seats into the 65 a few years ago and these went in like butter. Only took a couple hours to get it all changed around and both sides are adjustable. The little trick of cheating the brackets ALL the way to the front of the seat really works. I was afraid I was going to be too tight to the stock wheel...but I fit in with room to spare and with the seat all the way back...I am actually too far from the pedals!

I think the silver stripe in the seat is a nice compliment to my aluminum dash touches too.

DSC00948%20(Medium).JPG

DSC00950%20(Medium).JPG

I took all the lessons I learned from installing the bullitt seats into the 65 a few years ago and these went in like butter. Only took a couple hours to get it all changed around and both sides are adjustable. The little trick of cheating the brackets ALL the way to the front of the seat really works. I was afraid I was going to be too tight to the stock wheel...but I fit in with room to spare and with the seat all the way back...I am actually too far from the pedals!

I think the silver stripe in the seat is a nice compliment to my aluminum dash touches too.

DSC00948%20(Medium).JPG

DSC00950%20(Medium).JPG

Dodgestang, are these the Mach 1 seats your were referring to in your previous post?

Dodgestang, I'm confused when you say "cheat the brackets all the way to the front of the seats." Could you explain further or do a quick drawing? Or am I overthinking this?

Much of the advice about installing classic seat tracks on new seats goes something like this:

Unbolt the new seat's tracks
Reuse the front bolt holes on the bottom of the seat, hold up the classic seat track, mark the rear holes on for bottom of the new seat, drill the rear holes, and bolt the track on.

If you hold the classic seats track to the bottom metal frame of the new seat and shift them forward on the metal frame as far to to front as you can (not reusing an existing holes) this will move the mounting point of the bracket about an inch and half more forward. Then mark and drill new front and rear holes. The result is the new seat will sit an inch and half or so back further.

Sorry for the typo...but I already saved the processing image here and didn't save the raw...so it will forever have a typo in it:

seat_install.jpg

another question for ya. Did you also install the rear mach 1 seats or bullitt seats? How did you make them work? All I have been finding online for sale are the fronts and rears sold together for $500 plus shipping. So if I can get the rear to install as easy as the front I might do it.

another question for ya. Did you also install the rear mach 1 seats or bullitt seats? How did you make them work? All I have been finding online for sale are the fronts and rears sold together for $500 plus shipping. So if I can get the rear to install as easy as the front I might do it.

Just the fronts.
1. I keep the fold down folded down most of the time
2. The Mach 1 seats have a horizontal stitching that visually matches the stock rear seat sticking. The rear seat may be vinyl and the front leather now but the visually mesh
3. The Bullitt seats have a vertical stitching that visually match the pony interior rear seat sticking so if you swap a standard rear cover for a pony interior rear cover you end up again with a rear seat may be vinyl and the front leather now but the visually mesh
4. I have never attempted to install the late model rear seat. I have seen it installed in a coupe, but I do not feel they would physically fit in the fastback seat area without significant modification to either the interior panels or the seats themselves...or both.
5. Buy the package if it is legit and then simply resell what you can't use (I will also point out that at $500 you might be only looking at the 'leather cover packages' that require you to already OWN the seats and are simply replacing the 'covers'). Full sets (front seats with tracks, rear seats included pulled from a wreck) routinely sell for $1000-$1200 on ebay. I got my new mach 1 seats for under $1000 because of lucky timming on ebay and I got my bullitts on ebay as a few years ago for $800 because they came without the tracks or back seat.

The guys are selling them as the whole shebang. They are from wrecked cars. Hmmm I'll have to convince my dad to pitch in a lil for the seats then. Thanks for your help dodgestang!