Mods Q's HELP!!!!!

90notch_5.0

Oct 25, 2007
Hello

I’m new to the modular world and have a few questions. I have a 2003 GT Automatic with 80k miles. I will like to know if it’s that time when I replace sparkplugs, fuel filter, and transmission fluid. The spark plugs have never been changed…..what do you recommend I use? The transmission fluid seems like it will be a good time to change it….regular ATF will do the job right (and new transmission filter of curse)

P.S. I’m use to my good old five-oh push rod….i will do this to a friend’s GT

• Sponsors (?)

The mod motors seem to be somewhat picky about plugs. For instance, I tried a set of Autolites and my 4.6 didn't like them, it idled poorly. I switched to a set of Motorcrafts and they seem peachy!

Also, if the plug boots have never been off before, it could take some will power to pull them the first time. Remember to twist first to break it loose from the plug.

Fuel filters pretty straightforward, you might want to think about the air filter since you have to remove the intake tube anyway.

I run a 5 speed, so I don't have any comment on the ATF.

It's debatable. They came with platinum plugs from the factory and if its a mildly modified or stock car platinums should be perfectly fine and will last 60-100K miles. Copper plugs tend to provide a hotter spark, however they need to be changed every 15-30K miles.

Anytime this question is asked I say the following: if you like to do your own maintenance and like the idea of having a hotter spark, go for the cheap copper plugs (~$2 per plug) and change them out once every 1-2 years. On the other hand if you don't want to mess with changing plugs for a while and think the hotter spark makes no difference get a set of platinum plugs and be happy knowing it will be years before they have to be changed again (platinums cost about $4-$5 each).

I run the NGK TR6 plugs (cause I have a blower) and I change them out once a year along with my fuel filter. I would say at 80k miles replacing the tranny fluid would be a good idea. Get a good synthetic oil. I also clean my lifetime air filter twice a year.

I can’t thank you guys for your help, all this information is very useful thanks again :hail2:. Seems like I was on the right track is just that I had seconds thought on the fluids and plugs. Seems like I will do the tranny fluid, plugs, and fuel filter they all seem like DYS that’s always nice and fun :)
:flag: :SNSign: