Modular Chips?

woodly1069

Dec 6, 2007
Has anyone sifted through the amazing amount of chips available? I would like to install one in my 01 GT but I haven't looked at this stuff for a few years. What the heck is up with the cost. Why do they cost pennies instead of hundreds? What brand actually works best? Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The technology is moving more towards tuners and not chips. That's why they are cheaper. I have an SCT tuner and I love it. I can switch between a torque tune and a performance tune in about 3 minutes. You can't do that with a chip. If you aren't going back and forth, a chip might be the cheaper easier way. But if you want the option of changing quickly, a tuner is the best bet.

The technology is moving more towards tuners and not chips. That's why they are cheaper. I have an SCT tuner and I love it. I can switch between a torque tune and a performance tune in about 3 minutes. You can't do that with a chip. If you aren't going back and forth, a chip might be the cheaper easier way. But if you want the option of changing quickly, a tuner is the best bet.

Actually a multi tune switch chip is best if you want to switch between tunes quickly. :nice:

I think he is more talking about the e-bay chips right? The ones you can buy for like 99 cents. If so they are so cheap because they will not work and will probably blow up your car. or at least short something out.

the Ebay "chip" goes in the wiring of your IAT sensor to trick it into thinking it is VERY cold outside. the car advances the timing no matter what the REAL air temp is and next thing you know......boom!!! you have a rod out the side of the block.

dont even think about doing this. there is a reason the cost .99!

They have chips for everything on Ebay. They are trying to fool your car into thinking it's doing things its not. Soon they will have a chip that will make your car think it's a Honda.

Actually a multi tune switch chip is best if you want to switch between tunes quickly. :nice:

Where is the switch? If it's behind the kick panel, I think it might be faster and definitely easier to change tunes with a tuner. Not to mention if you want to change things like what temp fans turn on, you can do it. Also if your at the dyno and your dyno guy can tune, you can hook up your tuner and the person can tune it right there without removing the chip and downloading new tunes. Tuners aren't cheap but if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Where is the switch? If it's behind the kick panel, I think it might be faster and definitely easier to change tunes with a tuner. Not to mention if you want to change things like what temp fans turn on, you can do it. Also if your at the dyno and your dyno guy can tune, you can hook up your tuner and the person can tune it right there without removing the chip and downloading new tunes. Tuners aren't cheap but if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

The switch is attached to a cable and you can mount it anywhere. Mine is in the space where the CD player used to be and I used to have it in the glove box. I can extend it out and ride with it in my lap if I want to. There are mounting pieces you can pick up and mount it in place of a coin holder or just in the dash. A four bank chip can hold four tunes and you can have the same tune as the progammer. The only difference is the minor changes you can do yourself with the handheld tuner.

I've had both. I bought an Xcal2 when they first came out but I prefer the "switch on the fly" ease of the 4 bank switch so I traded the Xcal for the switch chip.

Well I guess it's a matter of preference then. Over the past year I've changed alot on my car so the tuners been working for me. But the local dyno also tunes and he can tune SCT tuners, so that works best for me. Thanks for the education on the switches. I don't know anyone who uses one so I had no clue. :)