Molding the fenders

pleasehelp said:
going with a bigger one :rolleyes: :D

anyways... got the sheet metal cut out and welded in place yesterday. I have to grind it all down then go back and weld in the places that I missed since you have to do ABUNCH of tachs all around in to have it welded in.
fender003.jpg

fender004.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Another update:

I'm just about finished grinding down the weld on the drivers side. There's some small places that I need to figure out a way to get at, then go back in and weld the little places that I missed on the first welding. Just taking a little break from it right now because longsleve shirt, gloves, and some goggles in florida weather = :notnice:

fender005.jpg

All ready for some bondo... It's actually starting to look better than what I thought it would. I was getting worried before that I was doing the wrong thing, but it seems fine now.
fender006.jpg

Just got finished playing with the mud :D well finished for the night. I need to get some 80 grit sand paper before I do anything else because block sanding it all with 120 isnt working out too well, but thats all I had. I still have a lot more to do to this fender, but I got the front piece welded in so I just need to bondo everything up and smooth it all out :)
fender007.jpg

Numbles said:
Daaaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnnnnn.........

Tip, Fill in those ugly hole for the STB on top of the strut tower. Would look hella cool.

Cant wait to see it done.

Dan.
one step at a time :D I havent made it that far yet. What I'm going to do is fill in thoes unly square holes for the STB, then once its all smoothed out, I'm going to drill out the hole in the middle, then re-tap them to get all the crap out and but an aftermarket chrome STB.

Hellbent66 said:
I may have missed this but R u going to pull the motor to paint it! And if you do r u going to do all the other areas that u can firewall and the back of the fenders by the firewall!! Looks good
As of right now I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to be doing. I'd love to pull the motor and get everything, but since this is my DD that might not be an option. For now I'm just going to get everything that I can get to with the engine still in the car, then depending on how much more is left that I couldnt get to with the engine still there, I might pull it out one friday afternoon and startwork on it asap and hopefully paint it that weekend

I didn't realize it was your daily driver that is a bada** DD. I used to drive my car everyday but I kept breaking things so I got a beater to drive around! That would be a lot of work for a weekend espeacily since it would have to be dry and back in by mon. whatever you decide i'm sure will look good you've got a good start.

Today I mainly concentrated on the bottom part of the fender. That part was a a little hard to get to because of the engine still being in the car, so I basically just stuck abunch of bondo down there and leveled it out as best I could. I needed to raise it up some in certain spots so I just piped bondo down there where it was needed. The curves are pretty much smooth, I just have to do something about the curve where the strut tower meets. I dont know id I want to sand it smooth and make it a tight curve, of smooth it out more and make it flow better.
fender008.jpg

Yea, I know what you mean about the strut curve. I tried making a smooth curve but it didn't come out how i liked it to. One side looks to be curved while the other is a more hard line. All a matter of testing things out.

Jeremy