Motor Dies When Stopping

stumbotc

Feb 22, 2015
I have an 01 conversion with a 95 5.0, bored 30 over, gt 40 heads and intake, 5 speed,runs awesome but when i come to a stop the engine dies, starts right back up though. could it be a sensor causing this. just aggravating when i come to a stop i have to give it gas to keep from dying.

Did you have it tuned? Unless your IAC is malfunctioning or needs cleaning, I'd suspect the dashpot settings in the tune. If it's a stock throttle body and you aren't tuned, you might tinker with the idle air bleed (allen screw under a little cover on the throttle body) to see if you can improve the situation. The ideal is somewhere between "hanging idle" when you stop and "stalling."

I replaced the IAC and it didnt change anything, it has a Bama Performance chip, it was on it when I bought it. You think maybe I should take it out and see what it does?

I wouldn't, unless you know exactly the mods that were done to your engine. It may not run at all, or very poorly, if you remove the chip. Does your throttle body have an air bleed? Personally I'd try that first.

its a bbk 70 mm throttle body, not sure if it does or not. the chip has free tunes for life, i think im gonna call them tommorow and tell them whats going on and try to get it reflashed.

I'm not sure if the free-tunes-for-life is transferable to a new owner, but it won't hurt to ask. They could definitely adjust the throttle body air-flow parameter and fix you up.

A bbk 70mm should have an idle air bleed. It's the screw (perhaps under a cap) right next to where the IAC mounts.