motor Mount advice....don't do this...

Cobra912

May 1, 2005
Wish I was anywhere but here
Ok me and my dad finally went to throw in my 4 year project (budget) 331 stroker into the old 86. I purchased hardly used Prothane black motor and tranny mounts. (used 400 miles) Installed and away we went.

Now here's the problem for you that have never installed a motor or changed mounts:

- the two prothane mounts looked identical
- the stock ones look identical other than they come into pieces 1) mount 2) bracket
- the brackets are marked Left and Right but other than they work on either mount which were not labelled L or R
- the prothane mounts are not labelled

So after installing and dropping it in with headers on we could not for the life of us get the mounts to line up with K-member and the header would not clear my flaming river steering shaft. We spent two hours trying to figure out what the heck was wrong including trying to get the motor which was now wedged in there back out.........:mad:

Well I finally had a look at the stock ones that I thought were long gone and it notice almost immediately that while they look the same the chasis to mount bolts are in slightly different locations! UUUGGGGHHH:bs:

Well we flipped them aroud and viola!:nice:

HPIM0438.jpg

HPIM0440.jpg

HPIM0441.jpg

HPIM0444.jpg

HPIM0446.jpg

HPIM0445.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks!

Yes the water pump is reverse rotation (stock set-up) with a March A/C elimantor bracket and stock tensioner. I had one heck of a time trying to find out the part number for a standard rotation pump that would line up depth wise, the bolt holes for the pulley in the right spot etc. Not to mention try to find a grooved pulley that would fit as well............it was gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

So I purchased a Ford Racing reverse which is esentially a Motorcraft part with a sticker over top.

I had to buy a March crank spacer bracket because little did I know I was gonna need one with my Fluiddampr balancer........cost me 65 bucks for a peice of aluminum :nonono:

Anyways I have put in a ton more hours so I will upload some more pics tomorrow night . Havin a pain in my a$$ time with my JLT intake clearing the air idle motor on the TB........

So I purchased a Ford Racing reverse which is esentially a Motorcraft part with a sticker over top.

I like having logo's like that showing aswell
I had to buy a March crank spacer bracket because little did I know I was gonna need one with my Fluiddampr balancer........cost me 65 bucks for a peice of aluminum :nonono:
I had to do the same thing. I think Ford racing also makes one.