Motor mounts replacement

schelini

Jul 14, 2018
New York
So I have the transmission and all the clutch components and flywheel out of the car so I can replace them. I noticed the motor mounts are much more accessible now. Is it safe to change them without the transmission supporting the engine or will it be too unstable?

20200407_190254.jpg

20200407_190411.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Two jacks one trans one under engine with a wood block. You have to really get it up there. Make sure you check air tube and I undid my shroud. You will have some stuff come undone so you have to check. I just did this , easier than I thought by far. Much better feel after.

Two jacks one trans one under engine with a wood block. You have to really get it up there. Make sure you check air tube and I undid my shroud. You will have some stuff come undone so you have to check. I just did this , easier than I thought by far. Much better feel after.

Read carefully, transmission is out.

Having the transmission out is not a big issue. However, having the transmission out does not make much difference on changing the motor mounts. Put a block of wood under the oil pan to spread the load of the jack. Should be fine. Do one engine mount at a time, and you should be fine. The engine usually settles back to where it came from. You can always jiggle it back into place.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
My bad, was thinking of how I did it. I would consider doing it with trans in. Wont the motor wobble a little by itself?.With the drivshaft on it goes strait up. If it moves two inches to one side how easy can you get it back?

Should be fine as long as one side of the motor is still attached. What kind of mounts are you putting back on it? I hear a lot of negative stuff about the current rubber mounts on the market. I replaced mine with Energy Suspension poly mounts.

I'm going to use MM urethane transmission and motor mounts. I can almost pull the transmission mount apart with my hands so I figured I should replace the motor mounts too. Also grabbing the MM firewall adjuster too for the clutch cable. Might order new parking brake cables too now that they are accessible...

These projects always get way more expensive than planned.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Replaced mine when I swapped the engines out in January/February. I used Parts Master rubber mounts since its a Daily Driver. The balancing of the Engine while the trans is not hard. Distributing the load on the jack and a 2x4 in the front of the engine will keep it stable. If you have a friend who can help watch the engine as you lift it that would be the best.

I'm going to replace the OEM engine mounts on my 87 GT convertible eventually. I always hear many negative comments about the local parts store mounts not fitting correctly, raises the height of the engine causing hood interference issues, etc.

There is one brand that keeps being mentioned that are good and have proper fitment. I cannot remember the brand right off. Can someone help?

Thanks.