Mouse Nest In Blower Area - Rip Out Entire Dash?

MN_Stang

Mar 31, 2017
I recently took my Mustang out of storage since 1998. There was a mouse nest under the seat, mouse crap on the floor and what looked to be some mouse crap and nest fluff in the blower area of the HVAC box.

My question is, should I just take a small shop vac attachment to vacuum out that little section, or assume they probably got to and crapped/nested in other areas like the heater core box and evaporator box? Does anyone know if mice can/do get into those areas? Am I overdoing it by thinking of removing the whole dash and cleaning all parts of the system? I know mouse crap can have Hantavirus in it, so obviously don't want that blowing through the vents. Also...the smell.

The heater core only had about one year of use before being stored for 20 years. Should I replace preemptively anyway if I'm already in that area? Same with evaporator (probably original)...Good idea to replace?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I vote to pull the dash and clean it all. It sucks but I think its the best way.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, thanks everyone. Thoughts on if I should spend the bucks to replace both the heater core (1 year use/20 years stored) and the (original) evaporator while I'm in there?

I just went through this. Those parts are cheap, i'd replace them. While you're there, replace the fan motor. It's amazing how much more air blows through the box with a nice new quiet fan motor. Besides, when will be the next time you want to go through all of the trouble to pull it when you knew you should have done that while you had it out earlier?

Your heater core is probably ok, it wouldn't hurt to get it checked though. It'll give you peace of mind.

Reactions: 1 user