MRT H-Pipe...Is It Shipping Yet?

SilverStallion

Founding Member
Mar 26, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I was just wondering if this pipe was shipping yet with the new design, and if anyone had it yet. I have heard some horror stories with the original design, and I would consider one IF it is truly going to be a simple remove and replace like my Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe was.
Any updates would be great.
~Darren

• Sponsors (?)

Yes ive had mine for about a month now, and the new design is not without problems. It leaks very badly on 03 Cobras, I had to have my exhaust shop modify the pipe because im sick of sending it back and forth.

If you have a GT or Mach 1 you are probably good to go, and the pipe sounds and performs awesome, but there are still currently some problems with the pipe and leaks on Cobras (03's for sure, not sure about other years).

I installed JBA headers and a MRT H-pipe on my GT this weekend. Unfortunately I have an exhaust leak. :damnit: It doesn't leak at idle, only when I get on it hard. :bang: I'm going to crawl under it this afternoon and figure out if its the headers or the H-pipe.

The one question I had during the install is, which way does the gasket go between the passanger side manifold and the h-pipe. The gasket is asymmetric, and the h-pipe install instructions make no mention of which way it goes. I took a guess - its possible this is where my leak is. :shrug:

I've got lots of pics of the install, I'll post them later in another thread.

The fat side of the gasket goes up. You need to make sure you torque them down tight. Which side is leaking? You also could have a leak in the headers at the heads. If you do not have a stethoscope (sp?) then take you some fuel line and use it to listen and find the leak.

Mike

MRaburn said:
The fat side of the gasket goes up. You need to make sure you torque them down tight. Which side is leaking? You also could have a leak in the headers at the heads. If you do not have a stethoscope (sp?) then take you some fuel line and use it to listen and find the leak.

Mike

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure its the passenger side thats leaking, but I haven't gone out to play with it yet. I'm suspecting I either put that gasket in backwards, and its leaking where the h-pipe meets the manifold, or its where the headers meet the heads (like you said). That would really suck, the H-pipe and starter would have to come out again to even have a look at the back half of the header.

I'll post the results this evening. Thanks again for the help! :nice:

Well, I have a leak on the driver's side where the h-pipe meets the manifold. :bang: I didn't have time to work on it last night so I hope to get to it tonight or tomorrow.

Hopefully this is just me being a goober and I screwed something up. :p

Nasa.

JBA recommends using a high temp black sensor safe RTV when connecting balled sockets in exhaust. We have found that this helps some systems as well so I would suggest picking some up and seeing if that helps as well.

Cheers

MRaburn said:
Nasa.

JBA recommends using a high temp black sensor safe RTV when connecting balled sockets in exhaust. We have found that this helps some systems as well so I would suggest picking some up and seeing if that helps as well.

Cheers

Damn that was fast! You can't beat good customer service. :nice: I'll give that a shot, hopefully tonight.

For the record, the h-pipe looks to be very well made. I hope no one confuses my posts here as complaining, because I probably screwed something up, like not using high-temp RTV to seal this up. The threading on the O2 bungs were nice and clean and the O2 sensors went in with no problems. Everything bolted up quite nicely.