MS3 Newbie

• Sponsors (?)

Couple questions....

Shouldn't the ECU automatically switch between VE1 and VE3? I was datalogging on Friday and I was trying to get higher in the VE table. At one point the car just stopped. I got out of it and continued the drive home. Today I was running autotune and had the same thing happened. My wife was watching the screen and said the dot was at the top of VE1 right before it happened. So my guess is it's not switching to VE3. It almost feels like when the MAF transfer doesn't increase properly and the engine just stops. Although a little more abrupt. When I got home I flipped over to the VE3 screen in autotune just to see it and noticed the dot hanging over the lower left bins. Which is 100kpa and 700rpm since I was idling. If I revved the engine the dot moved to the right. Shouldn't the dot just not be there at all since I'm not in that VE table?

This leads me to my other question, would the fact that it looks like it's trying to use both tables cause issues with the accel enrichment? It seems no matter what I do to the enrichment table it goes full rich when I start to accelerate. Such as when cruising and going up an incline. If I push the accelerator to maintain speed and the widebands show 11:1. Just a tad rich for cruising.

Attachments

• 2019-12-13_13.12.56.msl
    14.4 MB · Views: 65
  • 2019-12-15_09.36.25.msq
    285.7 KB · Views: 63
No. The function of the two tables seems to be a bit misunderstood. The car will only use ve1 until the map gets high enough for it to transfer to ve3. The dot is there as reference in any table you have open to show load value tracing.

Most of this could be easily talked through in a short conversation, pm me and I can give you a call and clear up the confusion.

No. The function of the two tables seems to be a bit misunderstood. The car will only use ve1 until the map gets high enough for it to transfer to ve3. The dot is there as reference in any table you have open to show load value tracing.

Most of this could be easily talked through in a short conversation, pm me and I can give you a call and clear up the confusion.

That second paragraph was supposed to be deleted. I figured out the issue was my AFR table. I had it set to 11.5 A/F from 70kpa up. I found that 100kpa is 0" vacuum. I adjusted the table to reflect that.

That's what I meant by switching tables. It didn't seem to switch to VE3 when the engine went above 100kpa. If it did switch tables then I have another issue since it'll just stop accelerating quite abruptly.

I sent you a PM as well.

I haven't gotten a chance to thank a91what for spending some time with me on the phone to give me some more insights to the software. I haven't been able to drive the car since we talked. I finally got it out today and managed to get it to pull up to 4500rpm. It cut out at 3500 before. He showed me an easy way to adjust the tune. I loaded that tune, and it made it to 4000rpm. I adjusted then ran it again. That's when it made it to 4500rpm. I haven't had a chance to run the latest tweak. But it's weird because the datalog shows 11.5ish up to the point it cuts out. And it just cuts out. As soon as I lift and go back to cruising it's fine.

I think I need to set the idle timing back to 12 degrees. It's hanging pretty bad now with it set to 16. But it is nice to know I'm getting somewhere. The car is currently cooling down so I can pull the plugs and check them out.

Attachments

• 2019-12-21_14.28.02.msq
    285.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 2019-12-21_14.02.58.msl
    5.1 MB · Views: 71
I was doing some reading last night and found there's an overboost protection in the software. Looking today I found there's two. One is the Overboost Protection and it is set to 300kPa. But there's a second one called Alt. Maximum MAP (Boost)(kPa). It was set to 220kPa. Guess where my cutoff kept happening? Between 220 and 222kPa according to the datalog. So I bumped the Alt. up to 300 to see if it helps.

I'm sure most know this stuff. But I want to keep a running log of sorts to keep my head straight as well as help anyone learning like me.

Ok so i finally got to take a look at the tune file for you, the assumption that the overboost was kicking in is absolutely correct.

Here is a small snip of the log file from above, lets take a look at the status bits and decipher the information.
70mustang overboost.PNG

as you can see at 382s into the log you hit 220kpa and then status bit 2 shows bit 64 = overboost protection. The status bits are a fast way to see what state the ecu thinks the engine is in and then you can start to decipher why.

lets take a look at another status bit for a moment, this one is still under status 2 but I am looking at bit # 128 this time. 128= CL idle, I see you have a hanging idle issue so lets take a look at that.

70mustang idle settings bit.PNG

Looking at this we can see the top graph the rpm drops 250 down to idle after a delay, lets find out why.
- The red arrow shows status 6 = 96... this does not apply to any of the basic bit fields, they count from 1 and double with every step
1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128 so when we get a number between this value that means we have more than one status bit active at one time.
96= bit 64-fan is on and bit 32- idle advance is active..
We can see in graph 3 the timing going to the value used in the idle advance page when status 6 gets bit 32 active.
- The Blue arrow coincides with Status 2 bit 128- CL idle is active, now why did the idle not become active sooner? you are coasting to a stop a hanging idle is aggravating. Well the purple arrow is looking at the VSS input to the ecu and under engine states in your tune you have the idle locked out until the car is at a speed lower than 3MPH.. this is the cause of the hanging idle. This however is not a terrible thing and will eliminate stalling issues, but personally i think a lower value would be great, IMO lowering the IGN1 timing table in the area of idle down to say 15* will help fix this issue.

I am posting a tune file for you, with some changes. I feel like you are working harder than you need to on the fuel table, so i simplified it into one table from two. Once the majority of the tuning is done we can break them back out again.

Attachments

• Mustang70.REV.2.0.0.msq
    273.8 KB · Views: 61
I'll make sure to add the bits to the viewer when looking things over. That seems to help when watching conditions.

The idle hang was weird. It didn't hang when I had the timing set to 12 degrees. At least not that bad. It would hang around 1000-1100rpm until I stopped. Which I didn't mind as like you said it keeps things from stalling.

And here I thought I was getting a handle on the fuel tables. I adjusted VE1 because I had made the changes to the 100kPa range in the AFR table and needed to tweak things. I really think it's close at this point. It drives really well. It's getting down to the little things.

Today was a good/bad day. The reason it was good was because I managed to do a full pull. That was pretty fun. It was a little rich, but I'll take rich over lean any day. I need to work on the accel/overrun stuff now I think. It goes way rich on some of the throttle transitions. Both accelerating and decelerating. But overall the car is running well. I'd have no problems driving it long distances right now. Although I might complain about the mpg a little. It's coming around though.

The bad was because my alternator is going out. Again. This one is only a couple months old too. I think it's time to drop the coin on a good aftermarket alternator.

Attachments

• 2019-12-28_09.42.07.msq
    285.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 2019-12-28_09.01.03.msl
    14.1 MB · Views: 66