MSD 6A Ign. Box makes loud 'hum' with RPMs?

HuebyStang94

Aug 25, 2004
STL
Hey all, after installing my MSD 6 ignition box (I mounted it near the passenger's foot area inside the car) it has a pretty loud 'hum' to it. It will hum louder/more consistent with higher RPMs. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to be coming from the speakers at all, just the actual box.

If this is normal, I might have to think of a way to deaden the sound some, or just move it........ thanks for any input!

• Sponsors (?)

You are not the first to report this.

I cant remember what people do to lessen the hum (the coil can make noise too).

Good luck.

That's exactly why I did it. To prevent failure of the box from HEAT. Why is it not safe too?

As for the sound, I was thinking mabye wrapping some car audio dynoMat around it to deaden the noise..?

If you ran the power wires near other power wires, you could be picking up interference from them. Since I can't see how you ran the power wires from the box, I suggest you use a noise filter, MSD sells one (part # 8830). Good luck

I'm also curious as to why installing the ignition inside the car is not safe. I'm looking to get one and plan on installing it inside the car. Can that 'not safe' statement be backed up by anyone or is this someone stating a general assumption here?

MSD sells a noise reducing widget (not sure what they call it).

I picked one up for my 6al when I bought it to reduce radio interference. I have had no problems with noise. I have never heard any noise from the box itself though.

I don't see any safety concerns for mounting the box inside the car (assuming you know how to wire it correctly). In fact many race cars do this.

Your MSD box puts out a radio signal (similar to AM) and your radio antenna picks this up and transmits it through the radio and into the speakers. That is the humming that you are experencing. Your best bet for this is to try and ground the box very well, however it might not cure your symptoms.

As other have eluded to, an aftermarket coil can also produce similar results except the coil noise tends to go away after a couple of months.

srothfuss said:
Your MSD box puts out a radio signal (similar to AM) and your radio antenna picks this up and transmits it through the radio and into the speakers. That is the humming that you are experencing. Your best bet for this is to try and ground the box very well, however it might not cure your symptoms.

As other have eluded to, an aftermarket coil can also produce similar results except the coil noise tends to go away after a couple of months.

Thanks for the info. I do understand that concept.... but this sound is coming DIRECTLY from the box itself. there is no hum/sound coming from any of the actual speakers. .... unless that is what is suppose to happen................ :(

HuebyStang94 said:
Thanks for the info. I do understand that concept.... but this sound is coming DIRECTLY from the box itself. there is no hum/sound coming from any of the actual speakers. .... unless that is what is suppose to happen................ :(
How old is the box? If it is more than 5 years old, send it in for a rebuild. If the box is working fine with no other malfunctions, just mount it under the hood away from heat. Good Luck.

HuebyStang94 said:

If it's the box itself making the noise and the box is new, it might go away in about 2 months of driving.

If the box is old (read: bought used with no history) it should be sent back to MSD to be rebuilt to be on the safe side.