Electrical Msd Tach Adapter 8920 And The Stock Tach....

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
So here's my issue. I've been running my car without the tach since I got it back together in 2005. I've had the rev limiter set and it rarely reaches anything near the limiter, so it's really no big deal. But anyway, I had a hair to finally get my tach back last week, so I tore into everything to try it. The tach adapter is wired correctly to the Digital 6AL and power circuits. I wired the tach output directly to the tach "C" input on the backside of the tach and it has the V8 adapter on the back it. I've chased my tail with some of this, checking connections, grounds etc, but can't seem to really come up with a definitive cause except that possibly either the 8920 is bad or that maybe I no longer need the V8 adapter, and I'm leaning toward a bad 8920. I'm also questioning if my tach can take the 4/8 cylinder signal or if it's possibly a V6 gauge. But here's what it's doing: the tach kinda jumps around at first, then settles and looks like it's reading normally. Then, a quick blip of the throttle and it pegs the 6k mark, then sporadic and back to "normal" reading at idle again. I have a quick video on my phone that I'll try to upload to illustrate. But anyway, does anyone have a good test procedure for either the 8920 or the stock tach to possibly verify what is actually going on? I believe I found a quick test for the 8920, but haven't been out to check it yet, so if anyone knows a good test procedure I can at least verify what I've found so far. Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ground issue?

I'm pretty sure that's not it, it has to be the wrong factory adapter. I fiddled with it for quite some time trying to get it nailed down and it just wouldn't cooperate so I abandoned it. I'll look at revisiting it when I can get my hands on another factory adapter. If memory serves there were 2 made, one for the earlier cars and one for the later ones. If memory serves, one's grey and the other black and have 2 different part numbers. Mine is black but I don't know the part number off the top of my head. But for now I've installed an aftermarket tach and haven't had any issues.

So I just looked at a picture of my dash and your tach is different than mine in that I do not have the yellow band from 5 to 6K. Maybe a year thing as mine's a 76 and yours is a 77. Is it the original cluster? Mine is not. I took it out of a junk yard and swapped my adapter over. When I did that I didn't look at the tach; I just wanted the 120MPH speedo.
I'm almost sure it's the adapter.

Mine is from an earlier car if I recall. My whole gauge pod was thrown together from a number of different sets, and it now looks like I'll need to find a "new" fuel gauge again. Mine somehow got a little screwed up along the bottom.

Shoot! I'll bet trying to find a cluster is going to be hard.
You have all the aftermarket gauges you may want to replace the whole thing.

When we used to be on .org, there was a cad file for a serious set of gauges. I'd consider that too. I don't know any of those guys anymore. But they were serious about their II's. There was a couple in Iowa.

At that time they were getting a computer controlled plasma cutter table. Any sheet metal shop could cut them out for you. Lights too.