MT82 Synchro Work EtC.

MarineDeuce

Jul 16, 2018
St Johns
Have my MT82 apart on the garage floor. Special tools for this job include a 12 ton Harbor Freight press, a set of 2 jaw pullers also Harbor Freight ( modified with some extension to reach long pulls) a large tapered gear clamp to push and pull against, also Harbor Freight and some large allen drives also Harbor Freight. Trans was grinding going into 5th gear. The 5th gear, graphite coated synchro was nearly slick with no grip at all on the cone. Second gear was a bit beaten also with synchro teeth missing in a few places. All parts in hand from a few excellent vendors including Allstate trans parts and Tasca Ford. Trans going back together tomorrow. The real story is the clutch. Want to replace the stock Valeo disc only. No can do. Valeo can not sell the ford part and ford wants 470 bucks for the disc and pressure plate - will not seperately. Found an Exedy part number, FMD127U, alleging to be an OEM replacement. CARiD had this in their online store for $98 bucks plus $75 shipping. I found them online for $98 free shipping through ebay. Two weeks later, no clutch disc, Exedy says CARiD is not a vendor and can not get their parts. Cancelled CARiD. Went directly to Exedy and ordered. Smooth as glass except my Card was declined, or so I thought. Had the wife try. Also declined. She checked the bank and found two Exedy charges for $216 total on declined sales. It took awhile to discover that the declination was due to Exedys policy of 1) using the billing address automatically for shipping and 2) not shipping to PO Boxes - no exceptions. We have resolved this by having a nearby family member order this for us. Be alerted to these issues. If anyone knows of another reputable source of clutch discs only, OEM, please post it. Onward.

• Sponsors (?)