Muffler??

Origommi

Aug 14, 2004
I am looking to get a little better sound from my 96 GT, but do not have the $ to get a full cat back hook up. I do however have enough for two mufflers. How good will it sound if I just keep the standard cat back and install two flowmasters mufflers. Any suggestions for a noob? Thanks all.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure about the diameter, but the weld-in flows sound great.

Midpipe is a matter of opinion - some like the H, some like the X. I myself have an X & think it sounds awesome with flows. But like I said, it's all a matter of opinion.

What kind of midpipe do the stock 96 GTs have?

A puny 2 to 2.25" catted H. I think LMIIs don't sound too bad on a factory H. Pretty sure the stock size was 2.25, but don't quote me on that one. If you want to be sure, go rent a chain cutter from Autozone, and chop the tailpipes off, as close to the muffler as possible. When you do that, look and see if you are cutting a part of the muffler's expanded part, or the smaller pipe that slips into the muffler. I always cut as close to the muffler as possible, giving me the most pipe to work with with the new mufflers. It's easy to remove too much. A tad harder to add pipe. That, and if you cut close enough to the muffler, the size should be the same outer diameter on the end of the H and the tailpipe. Just take the tailpipes up to the store with you, and slip fit them into a couple different size pipes down the exhaust aisle, to see what you need. Good luck!

Origommi said:
Any suggestions on muflers??

It depends on your future plans for the exhaust. If your planning on an O/R midpipe you should stick with tamer mufflers ie. 2 chamber Flowmasters, magnaflows....if your getting a catted pipe you can get more aggressive.... magnapacks, LMII's.