Mustang Gt 5.0...High speed dangerous?

futstang

Jun 23, 2010
Hi everybody, i red a review about the gt500 2011 and something they said about it made me really wonder if it would be the case with the gt 5.0 also...

Here's the part of the review i'm referring to:
"Drivers are advised to be on full alert at full throttle, as the GT500 can quickly dip its tail out with little warning-- even in second or third gear. Driven by a cocky novice, this machine could get very ugly, very really quickly."

Can the Gt 5.0 be as "dangerous" when accelerating full trottle? What causes this need of being very very careful with the gt500, the rear suspension set-up(old tech reworked)? Same with the 5.0...

also, can this mean we'd better be cautious when cruising at high speed on the highway if there's some holes or objects we can't avoid because we don't see them? that it can cause fishtailing?

I guess the whole point is to know if the Mustang is a safe car just like any other one on the road, or does it require more skills(good drivers only)?

• Sponsors (?)

I think all this is referring to is you need to respect the machine. Whether a GT500, 5.0 or v6('11). I have never driven a GT500 or new 5.0(hopefully car will be delivered in about 9wks). Mustangs have a light rearend. There are plenty of stories of spin outs on ramps or turns at full throttle.

Just need to drive within your limits unless on the track.

So it's not the kind of car you can take faster corners & drive sportier with...Is all that really due to being a live axle? Isn't Ford cautious of the safety it removes...What about Merging onto highways while accelerating...or passing others at full thruttle? all things to be careful with the Mustang vs other cars...

Kind of a shame it has to be driven peacefully other than in str8 lines where it's more ok to get fast:(

So it's not the kind of car you can take faster corners & drive sportier with...Is all that really due to being a live axle? Isn't Ford cautious of the safety it removes...What about Merging onto highways while accelerating...or passing others at full thruttle? all things to be careful with the Mustang vs other cars...

Kind of a shame it has to be driven peacefully other than in str8 lines where it's more ok to get fast:(

I had no issue with full throttle on ramp merging with 350hp over the past five years with my 01GT. I would think these new stangs are a lot safer then the my 01GT. You don't want to go WOT and take a sharp turn. If you do that then you will spin out. This is true for most rear wheel drive cars.

The Mustang is a front heavy rear light RWD solid axle vehicle and is prone to spinning out....EVERY Mustang has been like that from day one.

I have a friend that managed to curb her V6 Mustang by applying too much gas on wet pavement.

If you're familiar with a rear wheel drive car, you know how to recover from a slide, and you don't drive like an idiot it can be a very safe car. When you start to slide the Mustang is very predictable and recoverable...the same can't be said for a FWD car in my opinion. Also, the new Mustangs with traction control and AdvanceTrack enabled are probably the safest Mustangs ever made as long as you don't drive like a complete madman.

Respect the power and drive within your limits...and don't think that Mustangs are the ONLY cars that you have to do that with; the same can be said for ANY RWD high horsepower car. (I've seen a brand new Camaro SS that someone ran into a pole because they were likely unfamiliar with how to handle that much HP on a RWD car).

Tks for those answers, thought the rear live axle cause fishtailing problems to the mustang that other cars didn't quite have because of independant suspensions...Guess not! wich is reassuring to know about that awesome car:p

But then, what's wrong about a rear live axle(like journalists complain about)?

Tks for those answers, thought the rear live axle cause fishtailing problems to the mustang that other cars didn't quite have because of independant suspensions...Guess not! wich is reassuring to know about that awesome car:p

The "problem" with a solid rear axle is that whatever one tire experiences, is transmitted to the other tire. So any time one tire hits a dip/rise/uneven patch, the other tire is moved around loses traction as a result. With an IRS, the tire on the side with the road imperfection is affected, but the other tire maintains whatever full amount of traction is available and is not affected.

So, on a smooth, prepared surface such as a skidpad or other "test" surface, the solid axle causes little problem. But on a road course, and most importantly/drastically on the street, where the surfaces are NOT so perfect as a test ground, this issue is important.

if you pay attention to what the car is doing there isn't anything to worry about. the performance packs include a performance traction control setting to avoid stuff like this.

The issue isn't just with the Mustang. Any 550hp+ car if pushed full throttle at relatively low speeds around tight corners is going to send the rear tire up in smoke. The GT500 is a lot of power for a street car. I think the article just wants to remind us to respect what these cars are capable of.

As for just cruising down the interstate, hitting a bump won't send it spinning or anything like that. In terms of handling, the Mustang is probably safer than most cars on the road.

The issue isn't just with the Mustang. Any 550hp+ car if pushed full throttle at relatively low speeds around tight corners is going to send the rear tire up in smoke. The GT500 is a lot of power for a street car. I think the article just wants to remind us to respect what these cars are capable of.

As for just cruising down the interstate, hitting a bump won't send it spinning or anything like that. In terms of handling, the Mustang is probably safer than most cars on the road.

end[/thread]

The 3 link rear suspension isn't anything like the suspensions in the past. I've owned the cobra with the IRS, and the new 3 Link is much better behaved. To top it off, the new mustang is pretty darn close to 50/50 front to rear...

The new GT500's only issue would be a retarded driver who doesn't know when not to mash the gas. It's new chassis and suspension are second to none.

The new mustang isn't anything like mustangs of old. I'm amazed at questions like these... For crying out loud, people with concerns like this should just run to the nearest dealership and drive one. :rolleyes:

Nothing at all.

They are warning people about the car because it has power to spin the tires like it's nobody's business. Power in the hands of people who haven't had it will cause accidents. I did a lot of stupid crap in my Mustang that only had half of the power as the new ones. It's common sense really, there is no "answer" to the question.