Mustang II 2.8 Head 1975

starjunor

Aug 12, 2020
WA
Does any one have any advice on how to get a 1975 V6 cylinder head. Just had the motor rebuilt and it has a cracked head. Ran for a little bit few weeks and running rough and steaming out the exhaust. Pulled the exhaust and it had coolant in it. Sent in to be checked cracked and not reparable. I need to find a replacement and I have been searching for almost a month with no results. I would even settle for a good rebuild able core. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any and all help would be appreciated. I am located North of Seattle WA.
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the response. I would have not found that thread. It looks like they reference a source for heads, but didn’t post the link. I may bump that thread and see if I can get a link.

I have a whole 2.8 that ran when pulled, and I'd let it go cheap, but the shipping from Texas would probably be astronomical.

car-part.com shows several around my zip code. I used them several times over the years as a service advisor to locate a yard that shows the part i've needed and then call the yard directly.

Reactions: 1 users
A few are currently available on eBay. Here's an example: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=153471823419

JEGS also seems to carry one - listed for Bronco II / Aerostar / Ranger but I don't believe there's any substantive difference.

When searching, just look for Ford 2.8L - parts will show up under Bronco / Aerostar / Ranger / Capri but rarely under Mustang II.

Take it for what it's worth: http://www.americancylinderheads.co...2.8-liter-_-valve-_-NA-side-Gas-_-AC151C.html (they list the interchangeability of cylinder heads near the bottom)

I have looked on car-part haven’t gone through the complete list, but the rebuilt was out of stock and one of the other places you had to pull yourself. The closest to me were TX and Ohio. We had contact with a rebuilder and we were told the exhaust ports outside of 75 and 76 were different. (I think this was American cylinder head) That may not be true but it worries me to spend that much money and not have it work out.
If anyone can confirm interchangeability I would feel better. Most of the info I found was from the ranger station.
I was probably optimistically looking for someone local that had a head or engine with heads to grab cores off of. Like 74stangs offer. I assume the 2.8 even complete doesn’t go for all that much.

I found one on eBay for a mercury that has matching casting numbers. Wasn’t listed as compatible, but I asked the seller and matching casting numbers are compatible. We shall see. It as on its way.

Last edited:
The salvage yard had this listed as a 75. I looked at the door tag and it was 77. I'll look at the vin when I go out there for @2Blue2. Still Minnesota is a long ways.

Attachments

• Boneyard1.jpg
    Boneyard1.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 88
  • boneyard2.jpg
    boneyard2.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 87
Enzio is my Hero!
I found one on eBay for a mercury that has matching casting numbers. Wasn’t listed as compatible, but I asked the seller and matching casting numbers are compatible. We shall see. It as on its way.
Got the Capri head installed and it bolted up perfect. Also upgraded to the offenhauser intake and a Holley 4 barrel needed a 1/2” filter spacer to run the stock air cleaner. Have some carb tweaks to do but it is running pretty good already.

Reactions: 6 users