Suspension Mustang II stock upper control arm removal?

testdepth

Feb 29, 2020
GA
I have what looks like a completely stock Mustang 2 front suspension installed in a hot rod. The upper ball joints are riveted. I need to replace the upper control arms and anything else upfront that is worn. I have searched for videos on the internet and cannot find any that explain how to take this apart the right way. Does anyone know of a video or good directions?
47578763_10205408351724328_7637215278429896704_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Obviously you'll want to be sure the spring pressure is controlled when you separate the ball joint from the spindle, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Basically all you need to do is remove the 2 nuts that hold the rod that runs through the backside of the control arm and holds it to the body. It serves as the camber adjustment point and has bushings through the control arm. If you're replacing the whole control arm I would suspect the new one will come with that rod already installed.Hopefully this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
If you have access to air tools, a grinder or cutoff wheel and an air hammer/chisel will make quick work of those rivets.

I recently replaced the ball joints on my Grand Marquis. I used a cutoff wheel to grind off the tops of the rivets and then pushed them out with the air hammer. Also used a chisel bit to help separate the ball joints from the arm.

If you are not that well equipped, weaken the rivets by drilling them with a small drill (1/4') in the middle; do not enlarge the holes (should be around 5/16) in the arm itself. Then a normal hammer and chisel will work too.

• Agree
I have seen the Rock Auto offer to rebuild my booster, but am afraid to send it in for fear of not getting it back/loosing it, then what. I found some info on my bolt torque question too. check out: https://www.fastenal.com/content/me...nt-library/Torque-Tension Reference Guide.pdf This is a chart worth bookmarking/printing off and keeping. 177 inch/lbs = 14.75 ft/lbs too. The "K" in the chart is referenced at the lower right hand side of the chart. Thanks for all your help/suggesstions