Mustang II suspension update & question

Fostang

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Stockton, Ca
Well so far I have only reinforced my crossmember by boxing it in and adding another gusset. I have pics if anyone is interested.

Still not welded to the chassis but I did test fit everything and it looks good.

I tried to mount a set of granada spindles on it. It seemed to go on just right. Even the the distance of the rotor is only about half an inch in ward compared to stock thus being able to mount wider tires woo hoo.

Has anyone else heard of someone installing granada spindles on a mustang II front end clip. This would allow the use of 11 inch rotors. Oh BTW I did mount the drivers on the passenger visa versa making it able to allow the use of front steer. I do have pics of it installed also.

Does anyone have the dimension of the mustang II spindles so I can compare them.

• Sponsors (?)

I found out this doing a search on the web.

The set I have is from a 74 comet could it be that this is the reason they are working on here?

When the Maverick was introduced in 1969, it offered no power brake option. Because Ford offered disc brakes only on power-brake equipped vehicles, there was no easy way to offer a disc brake option on the Maverick. It was too cost-prohibitive to engineer disc brakes for an economy car.
In 1974, the Mustang II was introduced, and it had front manual disc brakes standard. Ford used the Mustang II caliper and master cylinder on the Maverick (with a 5-lug rotor) and offered manual discs as an option in 1974. In 1975, the Granada was introduced with power disc brakes optional. Therefore, in 1975, the Maverick got not only the Granada's power disc brake option, but the Granada's manual brake system as well. The Granada had bigger calipers and a different master cylinder. So, 1974 disc brakes are based on Mustang II & Pinto hardware, while from 1975-1977, Granada hardware was used.

From my standpoint, the Granada spindle is much too tall for the MII, you'll have tremendous upper ball joint bind. Take a look at the difference in angles

MII-1.jpg

That's a V8 spindle compared to the MII spindle. The Granada spindle is taller.

11" brakes on the MII are cheap and easy. $40 Granada rotor (same bearings), $11 GM caliper, $25 Bracket. Done deal, IMO.

Which crossmember are you using? I had a Heidts crossmember in my hand the other day and was looking it over and had some opinions, but I want to take a look at the RC Motorsports version as well as this one from Full Tilt Street Rods before I make a purchase. You can save a few bucks by finish welding it yourself.

xmem2.jpg

Al

Like has been said, the hot ticket is to use the MII spindles with Granada rotors. You can buy or fabricate brackets for either the GM or Granada calipers. Putting in the taller spindles will create problems with the roll centers and instant centers and possibly make it an evil handling monster. If it would even work and not bind the upper ball joints like has been said.
I am going with the MII spindles, Granada rotors, and Cobra calipers with custom brackets.
Howard :nice:

Well I'm using the Heidt's kit which a buddy and I reinforced in certain areas around the full tubular lower control arm mounting locations.

I will also be upgrading the grade 5 bolts to grade 8 for safety. I have a few pics of the kit that I can e mail to OBOEBRIAN. as soon as I can get his email adress.

That's exactly how I wanted to compare the two spindles.

67VERT has the RC crossmember maybe he can show us some pictures of his. As it came out of the box but he does have some on his webpage, for which I don't have link too.

Do what you want on the bolts but I circle track raced for years and worked as an official at the local track and the guys there use grade 5 bolts in all the steering because they bend instead of breaking. You still have steering that way. Grade eights are too hard and will break with a severe impact.
Take it for what it is worth. Not trying to tell you what to do.
Howard :flag:

Cool thanks, OboeBrian.

I guess now I'll be selling my granada front disc set up.

I have so much stuff my parents, I think ,are starting to get fed up with having it here.

Just a quick list off the top of my head of the crap layed in my garage basement and outside.

3 tranny's 2 aod's 1 c4
2 difs 1 9 inch just rebuilt locker 1 8 inch
4 engines 3 rollers 1 74
03 cobra independent rear
Complete body kit
various new items inside my room heads, carbs, intakes, ignition boxes.
various 5.0 wiring.
eec IV computers
and I just recycled close to 1000 lbs of stuff 2 trannys various parts intakes

This is just of things I can remember. I really need to take my parents advice and stop buying things and start assembling the fastback.

how hard would you say all this work is?? Does it come with good instructions? Im really really considering this right now cause of your pics :D

I will have to set everything up and have a guy come in and weld it for me, so all the work is basically up to me. I have never stepped into stuff like this before and am sorta nervous....

THanks
Tim

xoxbxfx said:
how hard would you say all this work is?? Does it come with good instructions? Im really really considering this right now cause of your pics :D

I will have to set everything up and have a guy come in and weld it for me, so all the work is basically up to me. I have never stepped into stuff like this before and am sorta nervous....

THanks
Tim

It comes with enough instructions. It's really not that hard. Just cut, align, and weld. I do recomend a nice deep penetration when welding therefore it had to be welded with a 220 amp instead of my 120 amp.

I have never done this before either. I practacly learned how to weld on this car and I'm only a punk kid thats about to turn 21. Well I should say young adult, I guess. :rolleyes:

Just read the instruction a few times and get a feel for everything first then start on it. I can try and send you the instructions if my damn desk top computer decides to function properly damn POS and thats the only one that the scanner works to. Or I can even photo copy it and mail it to you. Really not much involved. Call up Heidt's 1-800-841-8188 tell em you wa
nt a catalog.

Just found this piece on the heidts page http://www.heidts.com/images/art5.pdf

they did it on a 66' stang.