MUSTANG STEVE'S BUSHINGS

danny clemens

May 4, 2005
I'm doing a Granada swap on my 66 Fastback and want to use the original type tie rods. Has anybody used any Mustang Steve's bushings and what do you think of them? Safety is my main concern. I have a power steering setup so I can't use the Granada left side.

• Sponsors (?)

danny clemens said:
I'm doing a Granada swap on my 66 Fastback and want to use the original type tie rods. Has anybody used any Mustang Steve's bushings and what do you think of them? Safety is my main concern. I have a power steering setup so I can't use the Granada left side.

you will be fine with the bushings, they should be loc-tited in and they won't move after that. they will allow you to use your stock tie-rods which is a big plus

bnickel said:
you will be fine with the bushings, they should be loc-tited in and they won't move after that. they will allow you to use your stock tie-rods which is a big plus

Have you used them bnickel? I think they'll be OK but after reading Mustang Steves disclaimer about using them at your own risk (more or less) I don't know. It would be the cheaper way to go unless they fell out and caused a collision.

i have not personally used them, but i can't see any reason for them to fail at all especially if they are loctited in as recommended.

even if for some reason the bushing did fail the tie-rod should still be attached to the spindle and you'd only have a loose tie- rod at that point. i would be more worried about a failed wheel bearing, failed/stripped LCA eccentric bolt or a failed/threads stripped PS slave cylinder than the tie-rod bushing.

i have had all of the above happen to me including a failed/loose inner tie-rod on either the 69 GT, my old 70 cougar or my old 78 mustang II and let me tell none of them was very fun but by far the least traumatic was the tie-rod as i was still able to drive the car for a couple of weeks until i got payed so i could fix it. the really sad part about getting the tie-rod fixed was that within 50 feet of me picking the car up at the shop it got totalled by a flat bed that ran a stop sign at a rather high rate of speed, also the cause of my back problems now too.

anyway, i'd still feel safe using the bushings with no worries on my part. the disclaimer has to be there for liability resaons since so many people in this country are sue happy these days.

i just got my roller spring perches from Opentracker and they have a very large disclaimer sticker on them but i have no worries about using them on the street, even if they were to fail i should still be able to control the car well enough to get it off the road.

the point is that any part produced by a small business person like Mustang Steve or Opentracker is going to carry that disclaimer.