Mustang Value

MineralGT281

Aug 8, 2011
Hi guys, I was floating around the idea of trading in my Mustang to move into a newer one. What do you think I can get for a trade in and also as a private sale.

2002 Mustang GT Premium Automatic
Mineral Gray
52,350 miles
Excellent condition visually and mechanically.
No performance upgrades other than a Summit cat back with Stainless 3" tips welded on.

Thanks for the opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

Where you live is relevant and will have an impact on the number of course. Without knowing that and assuming it's in as good of condition as you say, I'd guess between 9-11K, maybe a little more given your low miles.

I live in New York City. I've checked KBB and NADA online but those are never accurate from past experience I hate going to car dealerships and I want to get a good idea before attempting. Lol

I saw where a car with less miles then yours went for $8500 the other day. We are in the area of really low value in our cars. 05+ seems to be holding more value then anything.

Well, a friend of mine had a darkshadow grey 04 gt. It had 3x,000 miles on it. It also had a Vortech V1 supercharger along with exhaust and some other stuff. He traded it in on a new truck and the dealership around here only gave him $8,000 for it. Trade in wise, you will not get very much for the car. Your best bet would be just to list it for sale and try to sell it outright.

I live in New York City. I've checked KBB and NADA online but those are never accurate from past experience I hate going to car dealerships and I want to get a good idea before attempting. Lol

Given NYC, the boroughs, Northern Jersey and LI are on the top end of the CoL scale, you should expect top end if you're selling it locally. If you're going to throw out a wider net, be prepared to sharpen your pencil a bit more.

Since I buy and sell several cars a year, another trick I've learned is to put a search on Ebay for similar cars. Add them to your watch as they show up and monitor what they do. Forget the "Reserve" price of the vehicle which is meaningless outside of someone wish list, but rather focus on the top bid or sell price. That will give you a good indication of what the market will bear and whether or not it's worth your while to pursue this. I've turned away several purchases because cars weren't going for what I thought they would. As mentioned above, it is a buyer's market.

Since I buy and sell several cars a year, another trick I've learned is to put a search on Ebay for similar cars. Add them to your watch as they show up and monitor what they do. Forget the "Reserve" price of the vehicle which is meaningless outside of someone wish list, but rather focus on the top bid or sell price. That will give you a good indication of what the market will bear and whether or not it's worth your while to pursue this. I've turned away several purchases because cars weren't going for what I thought they would. As mentioned above, it is a buyer's market.

Very strong advice. Also keep an eye on CL to see what they are listed for. Keep in mind the condition of the vehicle, color, miles, and transmission.

Also note that KBB value is a starting point for negotiations.