Mustang5L5’s progress thread - Part 3

Was only close enough to see 95% totality.

Was still cool to see. Was definitely dimmer, colder and a little bit eerie out. Nothing like full totality unfortunately

Took this through my welding helmet

Reactions: 3 users
Got the full experience here. Very eerie indeed. We got some free eclipse glasses, it's only burned into my memory and not my corneas.

It's definitely something I'll remember.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the total experience in my back yard... pretty wild man. And you are right it got colder and in a hurry too. I even got to see either a satellite or the ISS (not sure which) pass between me and the moon during the totality of it with my naked eyes, pretty awesome!

Reactions: 1 users
I regret not arranging to get closer. Only a 2 hour drive and I would have been where it was 100%. Lots of folks I know made the trip and said it was worth it. For as excited as my kids were, I really do regret not doing it.

It was 100% an hour north of us. We took the drive. I could care less before hand but I did it for the wife and my nephew who were excited to see. Boy am I glad they roped me into this. Can’t even explain how amazing it was to feel and see. Once in a lifetime for me because the next full one here in the US I will be dead for sure.. Oh well.

Didn’t get to see it in Hawaii
Pic from in Texas
We did get a touch of twilight behind the grey clouds for a few min or so.

Driving past a junkyard today. This one is out of the way for me so i had a perfect chance to stop in. Wanted to see if i could locate a 01-04 black trunk lid. They had a 99-00 trunk lid but i passed.

Saw some cool stuff. A few 5.0 Fox cars there. Nothing really left that caught my attention as something i'd want to take.

Heading out, i walk through the back looking for SN95s. Low and behold!

$100 later and a LOOOOONG walk back to the front carrying this thing (it was in the back). It's mine.

Also snagged a 99-04 fuel tank pressure sensor since these are unobtanium now. Tank was on the ground so i just cut it off. Scoring all around.

Last edited:
Did you need the transmission? I thought yours was working fine?

My T5 is fine. I don't need this, but I couldn't leave empty handed with it just sitting there in the backseat. I have a fascination with working on T5's for some reason. I could build these all day. They just got too expensive unfortunately.

I'll take it apart, and turn it into a Fox-specific T5 and stash it away. I have a parts T5 that i've been looking for a 90+ gearset to stick in. This will satisfy my needs.

Reactions: 5 users
tosses it on my stand and pulled it apart to inspect. A little water inside but it hasn’t been sitting long so no rust. Flushed it all out with atf and checked everything over

Everything looks good in here. Will have to disassemble further to really inspect, but no chipped teeth or mashed up blocker rings/dog teeth.

Only real damage is a mashed up reverse slider. Guess the original owner liked to grind into R a lot, even though this trans has the reverse brake. But as you can see all the other gears look nice.

Sealed it back up, added 1 quart of ATF and will stuff it in the corner. Will be a winter project to make it fox compatible.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice score. If you don't have something for it, you might just flip it. I see these things on the marketplace for $800+. The thing that would scare me about buying one is that you never know what you're getting, but when you can show them this thread & the pics, that's a confidence booster.

I haven't sold mine after Black Jack's T56 install, because if/when I sell Black Jack, I want to keep the T56. A T56 swap is ~$5k worth of parts, and I don't think they bump the value of the car by 1/2 that.

I want to keep it as a spare. I priced out a TKX/T56 swap and considering how I drive the car, I don’t think I can justify the expense.

Im not launching or power shifting. I’m more of a “roll on it in 2nd and granny shift to 3rd and roll into it” kinda driver. I’ll stick with the T5 until it fails, but it’s been a good little trans. Shifts so smoothly and is silent.

Like I said, I’ll sit on it for a while. If one winter I’m looking for something to do I’ll swap the correct bits over to make it fox compatible.

Speaking of the fox. Time to fire it up and go for a drive. Only reason I haven’t if because the garage door failed and I can’t easily open the door. Need to get someone out to repair it in the next week or so. I think I’m all done with the SN95 so I’m ready to get this Megasquirt installed.

Please do a detailed install of megasquirt and o2 controler as my brand new MSPNP2 is sitting in my dinning room for over a year now, I'm not 100 in the health dept. Hey but I'm working on it.

Reactions: 3 users
Please do a detailed install of megasquirt and o2 controler as my brand new MSPNP2 is sitting in my dinning room for over a year now, I'm not 100 in the health dept. Hey but I'm working on it.
I did one on mine years ago, mine was the MS2PNP version and it was as simple as unplugging the factory unit, installing the MS unit, running a vacuum line through the firewall, and maybe a ground/power wire IIRC. Maybe those wires were for the Innovate LC2, don't remember, but that was easy as well! Car fired right up with the base tune and it worked really well.