My 1991 keeps dying, help.

I have a 1991 gt, it wouldnt crank over, so I jump started it, a few minutes later it died again. So I took out the battery and alternator and had them tested, they both passed, I replaced the alternator anyway because it sounded like it was going out, and had I the battery charged a little. Still after a bit of driving it started to lose charge again. I followed all of the visible wiring and couldn't find any signs of corroding, my connections look ok, my grounds look fine. The only thing I could think of is to replace the battery anyway. Anybody know what I should do?? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hard to say without seeing it but to me sounds like a wiring problem. Are you getting a battery light? If so I'd focus my attention on the connectors to the alternator. People pull them by the wires instead of the plug and one of the pins may be backed out.

Use a multimeter and check for voltage at the big wire on the alternator for 12 volts or more. Check the wires at the starter solenoid for 12v or more.

Post pics of what you've got going on.

Hard to say without seeing it but to me sounds like a wiring problem. Are you getting a battery light? If so I'd focus my attention on the connectors to the alternator. People pull them by the wires instead of the plug and one of the pins may be backed out.

Currently the battery is dead, I've got it charging. I did pull the dash apart yesterday to replace my speedo cable, could I have unhooked anything while doing that that could cause this?

Pull the gauge cluster, use a flashlight on the gauge face to find which bulb is the battery light.

Could those bent up wires be my problem? The battery indicator bulb doesn't look burnt out to me.

Attachments

• 15419644474062421384142736986060.jpg
    15419644474062421384142736986060.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 246