Fox My 93 Coupe Daily Driver. Undone !!!

After reading so much about the cam that comes in the kit - that is really my only concern . It seems 50/50 on a daily driver.

What is daily driveable is really a matter of opinion. I daily drove my car for 3 years with a TFS3 cam. For the remaining 7 years I had that cam in the car, I happened to have a beater car that was just more convenient. I actually had the beater for the whole time, but my dad stole it from me for 3 years so that he could work on his car. And by convenient, I mean it was more comfortable to park it at work where security was questionable, and it got better gas mileage. You'll be absolutely fine with a TFS1 or TFS2, as long as you get a good tune in the car.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I probably wouldn't waste money on new lifters. Not sure of the price of them these days, but you almost never hear of anyone with a stock shortblock build with a lifter problem.

You also may have to either get a 70mm throttle or port the intake.
Check to see what the opening on the trick flow intake is. I'm not sure offhand, but many are only 70mm.

TFS 1 or 2 cams are a breeze to get to idle correctly. most cams with a LSA of 112* or larger idle fairly well when you start to lower the LSA to 110* or lower the idle usually gets pretty choppy, you can still get them to idle well [and low] but it requires a substantial amount of effort.

2000XPS- I just rechecked and the throttle body is 2.75 inches= 70mm. So I should be good !
Now The waiting begins... I have a - LOT - of parts on order.
And I'm at the timeline of the machine shop.
I'm going to spend time getting new hardware and cleaning and painting all the brackets.

well I bit the bullet and called Summit. I ordered the
Trick flow top end kit.
EGR gasket and stud kit.
Trick flow Valve cover stud kit.
oil pan gasket
timing chain gasket set
Trick Flow roller lifters

This adds to what I already have on order:
melling oil pump - standard
water pump
alternator G6 and wiring
crank pulley
alternator-smog bracket
smog pump delete
smog pump small bracket
upper radiator hose
heater hoses to heater core kit
drive belt
fuel lines
MAF and injectors - 24 lb
cold air intake
starter
temp sensor
spark plugs
PCV valve and hoses-vacuum line
I did find the stock MAF wiring tucked in the fender
WHEW !!!

I took the money from the sale of the supercharger and applied it to this - so I really did not come out of pocket for much at all.
I cannot think of anything else that I need at this time.
Everything should be here by the end of next week - I Hope...

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
My previous combo that probably is close on power to yours maxed out my 24# injectors. It ran great but I had zero room for more power. Just an fyi. Nice collection of parts!

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't waste money on new lifters. Not sure of the price of them these days, but you almost never hear of anyone with a stock shortblock build with a lifter problem.

You also may have to either get a 70mm throttle or port the intake.
Check to see what the opening on the trick flow intake is. I'm not sure offhand, but many are only 70mm.

Probably a less than common problem voiced on the internet. I guess it depends on how old they are. If they are original, I would replace them. Like last combo lifters, less than 5000 miles, I would probably keep them. I think I paid $116 for the set last time.

Kurt

Thanks for all the suggestions and input.

I'm listening about the Injectors. I already ordered 24 lb injectors-.

SHOULD I return these and get 30LB injectors or just deal with the 24's for now ?

I thought about new Dist cap and wires - but they were working just fine.

Distributor seems okay also.

Here's where I'm at now. I pulled the motor and sent it to the machine shop. The cylinders do have a ridge at the top. Not bad but I think an overbore is needed. I am going to put forged pistons in.

Attachments

• 20191103_124219.jpg
    20191103_124219.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 20191103_124225.jpg
    20191103_124225.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 107
Basically- just not what I wanted. I had a chance to sell it for a lot of $$$ and I really wanted to be N/A. I used to have one a long time ago and just wanted simple and really clean. EVERYTHING in and on the motor will be new and I don't want or have to touch it for a long time.

Basically- just not what I wanted. I had a chance to sell it for a lot of $$$ and I really wanted to be N/A. I used to have one a long time ago and just wanted simple and really clean. EVERYTHING in and on the motor will be new and I don't want or have to touch it for a long time.
Seems like a logical approach. I'm thinking long term and am considering a stroker or my current combination with a Vortech. I'm leaning away from an On3 due to heat issues. It gets into the low 100s here in the summer and I'd like to be able to drive my car drama free throughout the year.