My dyno charts from April: Take a look and discuss

nickthegenius

Dec 23, 2002
Elwood, IN
OK, I did my camswap and header install over a couple weekends and then took my car to the nearest tuner. My car ran so crappy after the install on my Steeda re-flash that I felt that it wasn't safe to drive the car any farther than his shop.I am not badmouthing his shop by any means as he seems like a great guy and he was honest with me when he told me that my car was one of (or the) first cammed 4.6L that he had done.

So the results were fine. Peak HP was 290@5580 and the torque was still 273.5 at the same point in the powerband. Peak torque (just north of 300 ft-lbs) appears to be just a hair above 4k. I've never been dissapointed with the power the car makes and I have just recently learned how to harness it with my DRs at the track.

However, I have had other issues which include:

• Sometimes the car is completely undrivable when started cold in the morning. I actually have to pull to the side of the road and let it warm up to the second line (where the dotted area begins) on the temp gauge. After that, it drives pretty much like a stock car....

• At 1500RPMs, the car bucks. I could drive all day long at 1000RPM in 5th, but if I go up to 1500 and try to drive a steady speed, it bucks and surges.

After looking at other people's dyno charts, I feel that my A/F ratio = teh lose. It looks pretty funky compared to others I have seen especially down low.

Take a look at the pics below and discuss. The charts just re-surfaced this past weekend otherwise I would have posted this back in April.

attachment.php

attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have anything intelligent to add other that to confirm that the A/F below 3k looks like shjt. I think it would be worth a try to call the guy in Noblesville and ask him if he is willing to make your tune right. He probably has a few more under his belt by now.

Looks to me you're running way too fat down low. What size injectors are you running, I'd try a lower injector, tuned differently. It might solve the problem of running too fat down low.

have you tried to see if there's any codes in the pc? my car is also doing that from 1500-2100rpms, but it's only when it has to struggle (like going up a hill) but not at wot or anything above 2200. i've done the headswap and after that it's been doing that since. popping and bucking.. i'm still lost between what it would be.

krazy bunta said:
Looks to me you're running way too fat down low. What size injectors are you running, I'd try a lower injector, tuned differently. It might solve the problem of running too fat down low.

Umm, try a lower injector? Not sure where you are going with that.

It looks like the a/f is wavy because this is where he punched it. When you first get in it the a/f will surge for a few 100 rpms or so. It does look a little lean though, even with the initial spike accounted for. Try to mabye get another dyno, or better yet at the same shop. Try a smoother roll into the gas pedal and see if that cleans it up. Just after he shifted into 4th I think he just punched the gas pedal. All sticks go lean during the shift, as you let up on the pedal.

If your car is just crazy lean down low on the second try, then he needs to deal with it.
Good luck with it.

I know the our stock engine/tune will go lean. But with the new chip, would it still lean out from shifting. I though the new chip would overide that program that ford did. :shrug:

And the cold engine problems, that sound like a cammed motor to me.(normal)