My experience with front disc brake conversion (discbrakeswap.com)

Hi,

This post is to document my experiences with the SWAP1 kit from Dennis at Discbrakeswap.com. I put these on my 1969 Mustang Coupe that has the original 302-2v engine, C4, power steering, air conditioning and non-power drum brakes. I am also using 15x7 Magnum 500 wheels on 60 series BFG Radial T/A tires.

I only had to use two fabricated hard lines, everything else hooked up per the stock locations. This was to plumb in the proportioning valve. The valve is hidden under the master cylinder and is free hanging. I think I will zip tie it to the master cylinder for extra insurance. I also had a custom 90 degree fitting made to connect the line coming off the residual pressure valve to the hard line running to the rear brakes. I probably could have found a pre-made one but wasn't all that sure or could have bent the hard line better to use a normal coupler. Anyways, this was my course of action, pricey but it worked!

The kit came well packed with a complete and clear packing list so I could be sure that there were no missing parts. You get loc-tite, grease, etc only fluid I had to pick up was DOT 3 brake fluid.

The dust caps were a pain to tap on. Ended up grinding the little interference nubs down slightly on the inside of the caps to make them easier to install though they are still on firmly.

The spindle nut was just a TINY bit too small for my application. It would start to go on and then bind up quickly. I reused the stock one, no big deal.

The crossover tubes were kind of a pain to install on the calipers you had to start one side and as it went in the other side would line up with the hole in the caliper so you could then tighten it up. I had a problem with one trying to cross-thread but eventually I got it to go in true.

The OEM master cylinder has 9/16-18 and 1/2-20 ports while the one in the kit has 7/16-24 and 3/8-24 ports. I had a heck of a time dealing with this issue. I could not remove the original hard lines from the distribution block even with the use of penetrating oil and a hammer and flare wrenches etc. The only thing I didn't try was throwing heat at the connectors. I was able to purchase a 1/2-20 female to 7/17-24 male adapter fitting from Hydraulicstore.com - Call toll-free 877-778-3533 item #1053111. I could NOT find a 9/16-18 to 3/8-24 fitting ANYWHERE. I ended up buying a 9/16 to 1/2 fitting and have a machine shop turn the 1/2 end to 3/8 and rethread. This worked!! Just a heads up if you want to go my route and get these adapters done up front.

The rubber brakes lines hooked up to the factory locations, instructions said you may need to relocate the straighten out hard lines. I had no issue with binding by using the stock location.

I ground the anti-rattle clips to be a little less wide so they would not touch the rubber seals around the brake pistons.

The final setting for the proportioning valve for my setup was 1/2 turn open from full closed (with full closed still allowing fluid but the valve won't close further).

Overall I am 100% satisfied with the kit and Dennis goes above and beyond the call of duty in customer support. I would definitely recommend his kits to others looking to do a front disc brake swap.

Feel free to ask questions as I might have left something interesting out.

Thanks!
Chad

Pictures below----

Showing new tubing....
picture004resize.jpg

Showing final connections and master cylinder in place (note the master cylinder adapters)...
img0003resizen.jpg

TRYING to show the proportioning valve hidden under master cylinder...
img0005resizew.jpg

Shot showing off custom 90 degree connector to the rear brakes hard line...
picture002wg.jpg

Shot of brake kit on passenger side...
picture018bi.jpg

Shot showing connection new flex brake line to existing hard lines...
picture021ir.jpg

Shot showing the conversion with the Magnum 500 wheel on...
picture017no.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Good work - I just received the swap1 kit in the mail and will be tackling it when the Northern California weather turns (you know, January or so). How long did it take you to do the install?

You could do the install in less than 8 hours if everything goes smoothly (ie. old tubing comes loose easily, you have whatever fittings you may need, and can bend up your new tubing without much pain).

I found that I needed a little more grease for the bearings than came in the kit and picked up a can. I used the grease in a plastic baggie method to pack the bearings and keep my hands somewhat clean. If you put the grease in your hands and packed the bearings that way, you probably wouldn't need additional.

I'm wondering where you got the adapters at. I have a 2000 mustang v6 master cylinder with 2005+ disc brakes up front and rear versailles discs and will need adapters I was told. Any light shed on what adapters I will need. I plan on running a prop. valve as well.

EDIT: After actually reading the post I saw that website haha. I just get distracted too easily when there are pictures.

I have a set of disc brakes and calipers from my 06 Mustang GT when I swapped them for my BAER setup. Is it possible to use the 06 Mustang GT discs and calipers on 67 Fastback? I notice that the bolt pattern is the same. What parts do I need to do the conversion? It currently has manual drum brakes.
Thanks.

im in the process of installing the 08 gt brakes on my 69.... great kit... they almost dont fit inside my 17 in torque thrust rims... i painted the calipers red with ceramic paint... and i just bought a ford racing proportioning valve and dist. block plug. i have a fox booster and a 95 v6 master cyl... i just got 20 feet of stainless tubing for my fuel and brakes... soooo now i have to finish fitting the clutch and brake pedals in and complete the system... ill try to do a write up when im done...

"... I could NOT find a 9/16-18 to 3/8-24 fitting ANYWHERE. I ended up buying a 9/16" to 1/2" fitting and have a machine shop turn the 1/2" end to 3/8" and rethread. This worked!! Just a heads up if you want to go my route and get these adapters done up front.

I have the 7/16"-24, 1/2"-20 and 9/16"-18 fittings [new] available for those needing these size fittings for 3/16" diameter brake tubing. These are direct-connection fittings that don't require the use of adapters. --just slide them onto the tubing, double flare the line, and they connect directly to the port or hose connections without an adapter fitting in between.

Brake Line Fittings

I also bought a kit (#1) from CSRP. Mine unfortunately came with 2 passenger side caliper brackets. That kind of stuff happens. I called Dennis and let him know I was trying to get things completed in time for a car cruise that was coming up the following week. I was told to email him with the details and he would make sure the correct part would be sent out the next Monday so I would get it in time to finish the install. I called back 3 days later to see what method was used to ship the part as it hadn't come yet, but was told the part still hadn't been shipped out. Needless to say I'll be watching the rest of the guys from the sidewalk now.

Hi,This is in regards to all folks doing the disc brake upgrades.I've been reading that people con not find the proper adapter fittings etc.Well HERE's a TIP:A company called AGS from Muskegon,Mi.49443 which sell their fittings at most big auto parts stores carries such fittings and more.The 9/16-18 to 3/6-24 fitting is #BLF-28C upc#0-77146-36809-7 and the EDELMAN # is 258302 they are also availible thru Weatherhead #7911.Now if you need the 7/16-24 to 3/8-24 adapter fitting they are:AGS#BLF-22C,EDELMAN #258340 and Weatherhead#7818.I HOPE THIS WILL HELP OUT a LOT of FOLKS and take some of the TRAUMA out of Your Conversion Project.Thanks for thy ADD ALSO!I'm more into the Fox Bodies as I have 6 at this time although I do have a pr of sn-95's as well.I also have a 87 Turbo Coupe which is based on the Fox Platform.