My first stang!

Zeal69

Oct 31, 2019
Mass
So here is my dilemma, I never owned one but I just bought a 1986 Mustang 5.0 lx convertible as a project for me and my 9 years old son. I would like to do some upgrades, motor wise but don't know where to start. Should I start with a general tune-up? oil, plugs, wires, cold air intake. ideally would like it to roar a little deeper, would that be headers and if so what would be a good choice?

Welcome to Stangnet!
General tune-ups never hurt. But to just change the tone or volume level of the exhaust you could start with just the mufflers. There are a million and one choices out there. If you want to get more in depth you could go with a full exhaust which, again, there are a bunch of choices. How deep do you want to dig into the engine and how deep is your wallet? And how much mechanical experience do you have? That will also dictate how much you'll want to dive into it.

Basic tune up sounds like a great place to start. Mufflers as suggested would be a good way to change the sound without costing a lot of money. You said this is a project. What are your plans? What kind of condition is the car in? Drive the car a little bit and it will decide for you what you are going to work on next.

Lots of really good information on this site and a lot of good guys who are happy to help.

Reactions: 1 users
update, here is a pic. today I decided to pull apart the upper intake manifold and broke a bolt, but I will assume that it's an easy drill out. My question is that I can not get the top plate screws out to get to the final two bolts as they are stripped. should I drill those out as well? Anyone in Worcester,MA?lol

Nice looking car!! Looking forward to seeing you’re progress.

I try to not do things on a whim. I’ve learned (the hard way) to try and plan my attacks, and make sure I PB blast the nuts and bolts for a day or so before I go after them.

Reactions: 2 users