My first time at the track- new meaning to 5.Slow

On topic: I think your car has more in it, just need lots of practice. I know how it goes because I'm in the same boat (AODE+VERT). As for the mod bug, sorry, but once it bites there's no spray to kill it!

Somewhat off-topic: I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm just curious if there's any way to even semi-accurately predict 1/4th miles times from 1/8th mile times? If there is then I'd have a much better idea of what my original baseline was...

• Sponsors (?)

GreenStangGT said:
On topic: I think your car has more in it, just need lots of practice. I know how it goes because I'm in the same boat (AODE+VERT). As for the mod bug, sorry, but once it bites there's no spray to kill it!

Somewhat off-topic: I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm just curious if there's any way to even semi-accurately predict 1/4th miles times from 1/8th mile times? If there is then I'd have a much better idea of what my original baseline was...

My car was spinning and bogging a little, so what are some tips, driving wise, to getting these boats (literally) down the track faster, you can only do so much in an automatic :shrug: Thanks for putting my times in perspective I dont feel AS bad, but its still pretty sad, I cant trash talk imports if half of em at the track are beating me :(

RedStallion43 said:
My car was spinning and bogging a little, so what are some tips, driving wise, to getting these boats (literally) down the track faster, you can only do so much in an automatic :shrug: Thanks for putting my times in perspective I dont feel AS bad, but its still pretty sad, I cant trash talk imports if half of em at the track are beating me :(

Like you said, there's only so much you can do in an automatic. Basically just figuring out what RPM gives you your best launch and going from there. If possible you can always ice the intake for as long as possible before the run, help out a little.

RedStallion43 said:
Did you feel or hear any noticeable differences? Wasnt it there to reduce cowl noise or sumthin.

I highly recommend weight removal for these boats, especially in verts. Taking out the vert weight (originally in there to reduce road vibration I believe) will help a little with weight distribution along with just reduced weight overall. There is also an 7-8lb weight (referred to as a dogbone mostly) above the rear axle or thereabouts. Just make sure you replace the bracket after you remove it!

Also, considering how little/cramped/uncomfortable the back seats in 'verts are, you might think about removing them and putting in a rear seat delete. Especially if you are like me and never use them anyway and are on a budget to boot. I made mine at home for less than $10 and it looks great.

Keep at it, it'll come along I promise!

RedStallion43 said:
Well I just got back from the track for the first time and boy am I dissappointed, I knew I was gonna be slow but geez. I had 3 runs, two which were 15.9@88 in which I used O/D and a 15.8@88 mph without the O/D. I tryed it with the O/D only cuz this other guy in a mustang told me his ran better with it on. My best 60' time was 2.33 with a reaction time of .643 but I got that down to .184 by the last run but ended up going slower. Does reaction time effect the 1/4 mile time at all? So is my car running healthy or do these numbers look like they have potential with a little better driving. Now i know the mod bug is really gonna hit me :rolleyes: I have base timing BTW

LOL!! I think everyone's first trip at the track starts with the same first sentence. The first time I ever took a car down there it was a low 11 second Grand National and I did a 13.6x... let me tell you, pretty damn lame!!

I think you might be able to take some time off that slip, but not too much. I'd say your car is in good shape. A set of gears would help you out big time. I'd try a 4.10 screw in your heavy auto vert.

These cars really aren't very fast in stock form. Good potential, but you need to work for it.

Adam