My idle is wacky when i first start the car when cold

BLADDER92FOX

Apr 4, 2005
Miami
About 2 weeks ago my hose that goes to the upper intake from the front to the charcoal canister had a leak,and my car felt like it was missing and so forth. I replaced it but then my family mechanic(my moms cousin)turned my timing after he was done replacing my hose,i got mad at him and told him wtf are you doing.He doesn't have a timing light either. Well since then when i start my car when it's cold,my needle jumps up higher than normal and kinda surges for 2 secs and then it idles properly. I triied fixing the idle screw but i get that same thing. Also theres about 4 hoses in total that are joined by some plastic joiner pipe in between the rubber hoses that go fron the intake to the charcoal canister.They do all look old,i was wondering if i should just replace them all too. I'm worried that he turned my timing up and cause sometimes i can smell the gas from my car a bit,i had it at 14,but i haven't had time to go to my speed shop to get it checked out.

• Sponsors (?)

I just skimmed that bc I dont have alot of time to read, but did the hose fall off the vacuum tree or the tpi module? The tpi module is a squarish black thing to the left and a bit up from the vacuum tree. You only plug into there on speed density cars, and Im assuming yours in maf being a 92. Check with other people on what I just told you because im not 100% sure.

BLADDER92FOX said:
About 2 weeks ago my hose that goes to the upper intake from the front to the charcoal canister had a leak,and my car felt like it was missing and so forth. I replaced it but then my family mechanic(my moms cousin)turned my timing after he was done replacing my hose,i got mad at him and told him wtf are you doing.He doesn't have a timing light either. Well since then when i start my car when it's cold,my needle jumps up higher than normal and kinda surges for 2 secs and then it idles properly. I triied fixing the idle screw but i get that same thing. Also theres about 4 hoses in total that are joined by some plastic joiner pipe in between the rubber hoses that go fron the intake to the charcoal canister.They do all look old,i was wondering if i should just replace them all too. I'm worried that he turned my timing up and cause sometimes i can smell the gas from my car a bit,i had it at 14,but i haven't had time to go to my speed shop to get it checked out.
get your timing checked.

Thats the first thing i have to do,but unfortunatly it might still be days till i can get that done,my speed shop i go to sometimes has soo many stangs being upgraded and repaired that they harly have time check the car unless i go at 7:30 am before they open. I guess on my day off i'm going to have to take my car early in the morning so my mech can check it out. I think the timing must be higher cause i notice my gas doesn't last as long either.

Timing should not affect gas milage that much. A timing light can be had for 20 bucks on sale and is great for anyone's toolbox. I would just go get one and check timing yourself. Or borrow a buddy's light and check it yourself.

Good luck.

Oh, free is good (I was thinking that you could use money spent paying a shop and use it for buying a light).

I am with you all the way, knowing this.

Good luck bud.

I got my timing checked,it at 14,so all is good with that. But i replaced a vaccum tube yesterday cause it was broken. Now i'm just replacing all the cables from the upper intake to the charchoal canister,i'm sure its a vaccum leak and also those hoses are soo old and looks like they have alot of cracks in them too.

I think my problem is complety gone,i replaced all the hoses for the upper intake to the charcoal canister and still the same thing.Next i said f*** it and today i bought a pcv valve and breather. I just remembered that i have never changed the breather filter in my car in the year and 10 months that i've had it.That thig was sooo dirty and reeked of bad burnt oil smell.It was a pain to get out too,i have to use a long srew and pliers to take it out.Well after i was done replcing both the pcv and the breahter the car stated up fine and so far so good.I'm just waiting for it to start cold to see what going to happen. I was about to take off my IAB and clean it but i guess all is good so far. Also i think i have to change my dist cap cause i noticed that the pins on it are like copper color and the middle one is silver,and i think they all used to be silver,but i could be wrong?How do i know when i'm dure to change the cap and rotor?