My mustang had to set for 4 yrs. PLEASE HELP!!!

jbon302

Apr 17, 2005
Ok first off The reason. Divorce, loss of job, young dumb decisions, custody battle. Any way I won, built my life back up and was able to keep my mustang that i bought at 18 (31 now). So the reason I parked it was the trans went out, aod. I was broke. I saved my pennies and had the tranny rebuilt. Now i have the car in my 1 car garage with rebuilt trans. What do i do to get her back on the road. Here is what ive done so far:
Radiator out, (rotten)
alt, ac, and p.s. pump off to install underdrive pulleys.
upper intake off , want to clean the fuel system.
front clip removed to replace fender and bumper cover. cracked and dented.

Thank you for any help. I am good with my hands and ask alot of questions. Because I cant afford it and I want the satisfaction of doing it myself. I allready plan to flush and replace all fluids, tune up etc.

I will get pics today.

• Sponsors (?)

Your post is so general that it is hard to answer in anything but general terms.

The short answer for me is that, as long as the car is "safe", then start driving and tackle the issues that you haven't already tackled on the fly.

By "safe" I mean good tires, brakes (which weren't the greatest on these cars to begin with), suspension (including front wheel bearings) and steering.

If you can safely steer and stop the car, and not lose a front wheel while driving then, as long as the car runs, you're in business. You can hit the streets and come back to cruise another day.

Anything beyond this is secondary.

Otherwise, my friendly suggestion is that you make your post more specific because guys are not answering it on the grounds that it is much too vague and general, without even a pic of the car we're talking about.

mine sat 5 and a half years, I changed oil and dropped tank and cleaned it out (I had put fuel stabalizer in before parking and it was actually super clean) then I started it up and it ran like a champ, haha, that was it. Oh I primed the oil pump first too

Go buy all new rubber hoses, mine went out one by one (every single one) in the first week

damn, mine sat for a few years and all I did was pump the tires up to the right pressure, change oil, throw some fresh gas in since it had like nothing in the tank and it fired right up. oh yeah, and i didn't even use fuel stabilizer.

Thanks for the advice thor. The main thing i am worried about it the fuel system. I didnt do anything to it when I parked it.The inside of the throtle body looks bad i have removed it to clean. how would i go about cleaning the injectors , fuel rails, lines etc.

drop the tank, see if there is any thick, gummy sh1t in there, if not, then your good, just empty and clean it. Then your in bussiness. Injectors will be fine, but probably a good idea to swap to the gen 3 (skinny) injectors if you have some extra cash

oh yeah, if it is all thick probably pull and clean all the lines, rails and buy new injectors

drop the tank, see if there is any thick, gummy sh1t in there, if not, then your good, just empty and clean it. Then your in bussiness. Injectors will be fine, but probably a good idea to swap to the gen 3 (skinny) injectors if you have some extra cash

oh yeah, if it is all thick probably pull and clean all the lines, rails and buy new injectors

Seafoam engine cleaner will be your friend. You can run it through your fuel system. The injectors will be fine if you are basically stock.