My new baby. 71 Mach 1 need some guidance

I am the proud new owner of a 71 mach 1. got it off a pretty shady lookin dealership, so im not sure how she was treated before i got her. I'd like to get her back in to cherry shape so i can smoke these little college kids, but i have no idea where to start, just lookin for a little guidance

Anything helps,
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

first i would inspect the tie rod ends and ball joints for play
the brakes should also be looked at,maby drive shaft u joints.
all fairly simple repairs if needed ,inspect the hoses and fan belts
as well. post a few pics show us what you got, congrats

Reactions: 1 user
Safety first, then speed. What motor do you have? 351C? W? With how easy it is to find an overdrive transmission in todays world, you can run a much steeper rear gear, and still get some decent freeway mileage..

Sorry its been a while. Its a replacement 302. I have no idea how many miles. Also looked up my vin and I was duped. Its a fastback and had a straight six originally. I want to restomod it so im not too torn up about the non matching numbers. Already replaced my steering gear box and am on my way to having all my front end suspension and steering parts to replace all at once. Also took the advice on the breaks and just in time. My master cylinder is shot so that is ordered and in the mail. I appreciate all the help guys. I'll try to come by here more often and keep you guys in the loop and, more than likely, ask for more advice.

Reactions: 1 users
20160423_112144.jpg
20160423_112312.jpg
20160423_112200.jpg
20160423_112324.jpg
I have added some pictures to show you guys what I'm working with. As you can see, some good old boy has used his extesive knowledge of bailing wire to attach the mostly broken grill and the thing has more rust than an iron anchor. The redneck engineering that has gone in to this thing is equally frustrating and admirable. Replaced the master cylinder. Pretty simple and mostly painless. Slowly but surely getting her back in decent condition.