my new fastback is smoking like mad but I have good oil pressure? (351cleveland)

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
I just bought a 66 fastback that has a 351c with a big solid camshaft, edelbrock intake and carb, and 4bbl heads. I'm sure the rockers are way out of adjustment and I'm going to get to that tommorow, but I'm just curious what could be causing the smoking? The motor runs fine and the aftermarket guage reads 30lbs at idle and 50-55 while cruising.

It seems like one exaust is smoking more then the other, then they will not smoke for a few seconds, then they will both start smoking a lot....its completely random.

I'm hoping its nothing too bad :(

• Sponsors (?)

Is it an automatic? Cant recall what its called but on the auto's there is a line from the power vacum modifier??? It comes from the auto trans to the carb or intake and sometimes draws the ATF into the carb and makes a lot of smoke when it starts burning it up. It can also be the head seals.

The "gray" smoke could be an overly rich condition...check all your vacuum lines and recheck the carb float adjustment and idle circuit settings. It wouldn't hurt to run a compression check...but usually white smoke is coolant, blue-tint is oil and black/dk grey is fuel....good luck, hope you get that Cleveland running right, they can be very strong engines.

Smokey Car

Could be a couple of things.
1) Could be gas not oil. Not likely because it doesn't usually come and go like you described, but its an alternative. Usually too rich gas will be white looking smoke while oil is bluish and they smell different.
2) Your getting oil into the combustion chamber somehow.
2a) It could be thru the rings, your cylinder rings don't have oil injected into them under pressure, rather the oil is thrown about inside the engine coating the walls, so you could be pulling oil past your rings, and still have good oil pressure.
2b) Could be your valve guides. There are little umbrellas that slip over the top of your valve stems to keep oil from flowing down the valve stem into the cylinder. They get brittle and break sometimes allowing oil into the cylinder.

What I'd suggets is start with the easy stuff and work toward the harder stuff.

1) Make sure it isn't too much gas. Make sure your chock is open and staying open (wire it open if need be). If your choke was flapping, it could account for the intermittent behaviour, but then I'd think youd feel the power change. I don't think this is it, but I am not there looking at it. So, might as well make sure.

2) If it is oil, the valve guide seals can be replaced without pulling the heads. You need a spring compressor and an air compressor if I remember right. You screw an adapter into the spark plug hole, turn piston for that cylinder to tdc, and pump the cylinder full of compressed air to hold the valves shut. Then you compress the springs, remove the retainers, replaces the seal (just slides on) and put the spings and retainers back on. Even if you have to pay someone this is cheaper than the rings.

3) If you get to here, the only other entrance for oil is your rings (well theres the cracked wall option but I am gonna ignore it). Before you tear the engine down to fix this, try some of the engine cleaner products. Sometimes the rings are just gunked up, and cant seal. Again, try the cheap answeres first.
If that doesn't work, ask yourself how bad the smoke botheres you :)
If you just can't stand it, rebuild the engine. If your gonna tear it down to do the rings, might as well do the whole job (imho). That said you CAN just pull the heads and oil pan and replaces the rings with the block still in the car. Not something I'd do, but it can be done.

Because you say it is intermittent, I believe your gonna find its the valve guide seals, but then thats hoping on my part for you to save you cash and work.

Best of luck.

rbohm said:
valve guide seals.
FYI--If it is this it usaully smokes more a first start up.

check the pcv valve to make sure its working correctly and that oil is not coming from the valve cover to the carb.

also check- what strang 65 mentioned...

then check the plugs to see if they have oil all over them or are wet from fuel. if it is running way rich then you see that the plugs still look wet when you take them out. if it is oil from the rings then you'll notice the plugs will be horribly black with and the plugs will be shot.

it could just be carbed incorrectly or needs an adjustment.

my parents 351w in there 69 mach 1 smoked for 2 years untill i took the 750 vacuum secondary off and put a 750 edelbrock on it ( daily driver ):lol:

good luck
Rich