How much is my built A code 66 fastback worth?

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
How much is my built A code/4 speed 66 fastback worth?

I am really just curious how much the thing is worth, because I honestly have no idea.

Its a 1966 2+2 A code fastback GT350 clone origional 4 speed car
Built 1970 351 cleveland with 4bbl heads
big solid roller camshaft with roller rockers
edelbrock dual plane intake and carb
notched shock towers to fit the larger motor and headers(good clearance)
1 3/4" long tube headers with a full 3" flowmaster exaust
secondary electric fuel pump wired to a switch on the dash
Mallory ignition, with adjustable max rpm and shift light on the tach face thats
mounted on the steering column
Battery relocated to the rear
LARGE radiator
Lakewood bellhousing
toploader 4 speed with hurst shifter that has a reverse lockout
ford 9" rearend with 3.89 gears and a Detroit locker
Subframe connectors
Traction Lift bars that work excellent
Fold down rear seat and nice interior.
Good stereo system
Grant GT steering wheel
I drive the car everyday, and I've never had any big problems with it.

The floor pans have been changed in front of the rear seats (but with straight galvanized steel, not reproduction pans)
there is a small rust hole at the bottom of the passenger quarter panel, and a small hole in the drivers side wheel well
The hood has definately seen better days

Here is a picture of it thats a little dirty
View attachment 489313
View attachment 489315

• Sponsors (?)

10k, a decent first gen 'driver' fastback won't sell for much more unless the buyer is inexperienced/uneducated or at a Barret Jackson auction. With a proper floor repair, repair rust holes and hood, and fresh paint, you could maybe get 15-16. I doubt it would fetch 20k unless it was detailed nicely throughout with a clean undercarriage and all. As it sits, its pefect to have fun with, just the way I like 'em. It looks good, runs strong, and you can flog it without worrying about rock chips etc.

Im gonna say a litle more that 302 coupe is sayin..im sayin 12-14. 65-66 fastbacks are a little harder to find. The holes in the 1/4 and wheel well means 1 thing. RUST. I dunno how much work you have done to this car personally but when theres rust in a panel, there is probably rust under the paint. Rust is the biggest turn off on a car. Your car could sell pretty well on Ebay but its gonna be hard with galvanized floors and rusting holes in the body. A stock resto would sell for more.

xoxbxfx said:
Im gonna say a litle more that 302 coupe is sayin..im sayin 12-14. 65-66 fastbacks are a little harder to find. The holes in the 1/4 and wheel well means 1 thing. RUST. I dunno how much work you have done to this car personally but when theres rust in a panel, there is probably rust under the paint. Rust is the biggest turn off on a car. Your car could sell pretty well on Ebay but its gonna be hard with galvanized floors and rusting holes in the body. A stock resto would sell for more.
I'm thinking about changing the floor pans and repairing the rust. I mean you can't even see the rust on the quarter panel unless you bend down to see. I could get it all fixed up in a few days or so, which makes me think it may be worth it for when I eventually do decide to sell.

DarkoStoj said:
I'm thinking about changing the floor pans and repairing the rust. I mean you can't even see the rust on the quarter panel unless you bend down to see. I could get it all fixed up in a few days or so, which makes me think it may be worth it for when I eventually do decide to sell.

im just gonna say this... good paint will sell a car for $3-4000 more over a multicolored car. Saying that, I would focus more on the paint than the floors.

bnickel said:
i think i would replace the shifter as well, many people are scared of reverse lock out shifters and think the car is a race car if it has one instead of just a nice hi-po street car if you know what i mean.
why do people think that? I like th shifter

As someone who likes the originals I would say 5000 to 8000. It depends on whether or not someone wants to take over another persons "project".
The engine does not belong nor does the tranny nor rear end.
It is a clone.
The dash has been cut.
The rear deck has been cut.
The rust is the biggest problem. It is what you do not see.
I see the go fast stuff but what about the whoa stuff!!!!

If the pans are rusted out what about the frame rails??? Spring perches?? Cowl?? You have a 40 year old car with snow in the pictures. That means salt. Salt equals bad!!!

Last November I was shopping and came back to my Mustang. It is all original except for the carb and Pertronix. (Bolt-on stuff) The hood was up and some guy was under the car. I was pissed. He immediately offered me 15,000 for the car. I told him no and closed the hood and drove away. My car needs paint. The pony interior is fading in a few spots. The woodgrain is cracked. The exhaust valance is bent and one of the louvered exhaust tips is hanging down about an inch because some guy was yelling at his wife and rear ended me. That is just the visual. I could tell you much more about the rest of it but a novice would never know until later.

Put it on the block. The paint will sell the car. Depending on where you live you might get 12 from the right buyer.

IMHO!:nice:

KillerKittyCat said:
As someone who likes the originals I would say 5000 to 8000. It depends on whether or not someone wants to take over another persons "project".
The engine does not belong nor does the tranny nor rear end.
It is a clone.
The dash has been cut.
The rear deck has been cut.
The rust is the biggest problem. It is what you do not see.
I see the go fast stuff but what about the whoa stuff!!!!

If the pans are rusted out what about the frame rails??? Spring perches?? Cowl?? You have a 40 year old car with snow in the pictures. That means salt. Salt equals bad!!!

Last November I was shopping and came back to my Mustang. It is all original except for the carb and Pertronix. (Bolt-on stuff) The hood was up and some guy was under the car. I was pissed. He immediately offered me 15,000 for the car. I told him no and closed the hood and drove away. My car needs paint. The pony interior is fading in a few spots. The woodgrain is cracked. The exhaust valance is bent and one of the louvered exhaust tips is hanging down about an inch because some guy was yelling at his wife and rear ended me. That is just the visual. I could tell you much more about the rest of it but a novice would never know until later.

Put it on the block. The paint will sell the car. Depending on where you live you might get 12 from the right buyer.

IMHO!:nice:
some guy popped the hood on your car when you weren't even around? What the hell is wrong with him.

I think I should get more then 5-8k for the car. I mean the thing is my daily driver right now, and it is an A code car that came with a 4 speed. Also where do you see the dash being cut?

I'm probably going to keep the car for another 6 months or so and change the pans and the little rusted part of the 1/4 panel. I got new carpet, and a lot of odd and end parts I'm going to throw on there. The frame rails and just about everything on the car is solid other then the little rust on the 1/4 and the poor floor job somebody did.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you keep saying it's an "A" code, but you can't base any price on that unless the numbers match. I know the engine and wheels, and hood are not original, and I doubt the tranny and rear end are original either. Now don't get me wrong, I like restomod as much as the next guy, perhaps better that originals, but the "A" code should not get factored into the price unless you have the original parts and include them to get back to factory spec. That being said, I think that rust is very noticable to anyone doing a lite inspection and is a bad sign. The paint looks good enough to sell. In the condition as is I'd so no more than a similair condition Fastback say 8-10k (5k seems very low) fix the rust, most of all those floor pans, they scare me, and scream quick fix and expect 1.5-2K more.