My Pony Has A New Rear-End! What'cha Think? (Appearance Mod - Rear Honeycomb Panels)

Mega-Man

Aug 6, 2004
Sammamish, WA
Hi Guys,
Well, I promised a couple of people I would post pictures once I got the rear honeycomb panel installed (from Kar Kraft) so they could see what it looks like--so here it is. Am I still on track for my "old-school" ponycar? (Assorted pictures are thrown in as well.)

The panels look like they were OEM due to the official Ford logo stamped on the back with part numbers. When I opened up the box and saw the back of the panels, there were a lot of left-overs from the molding process (bumps, plastic circle outlines, etc.). I first got to work and took all three panels and trimmed off the excess plastic, then sanded it until smooth / flush. Then, I took rubbing alcohol and made sure the back of the panels were completely clean. I did the trick you guys suggested in taking off the back logos with dental floss--worked great! A little elbow grease and some sticky tape took off the gummy mess, then rubbing alcohol to clean everything up.

Next, I eyeballed things, see how they fit together, took a deep breath, then took off the tape and applied. Once done, I put the logos on (had to hack off the back prongs of the "GT" emblem, and filed off the rest) along with the license plate--mod complete! Normal ETA: 1 hour My ETA w/kids running around: 2 1/2 hours...

So, what do you guys think? Too much, or does it fit-in with my old-school theme? One thing I can say, do your prep-work! The kit has everything you need, you just need to make sure you just don't slap it on from the box. It has replacement emblems (Ford & GT) so everything turns out looking pretty good in the end. There is a VERY slight gap near the top, but the pieces are all flush with each other at the bottom and are lined-up evenly on the sides.

O.K., sorry for the long-winded write-up, but figured it would be of use to someone who was thinking about the panels. ;) - Mega

newstangpic.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I love the back panel. Gives the car a sporty, yet old school look. I'm wondering how it would look on a black car though. Being that the panel is black itself, I'm not sure if it'll make a difference as far as looks, on a black car. Should I do it? Or is it a waste of money on a black car?

How was the install BTW? Did you have to drill holes to make it stay or just used some double sided tape?

can you make the pics any bigger? :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of the honey comb on the back of the decklid, but I must say that I do like the way it looks on your car. Matches the louvers well... A flat black spoiler and hood scoop would add to that look really well.... The wheels don't fit in the "old school" though... Get some Mach1 rims or some old school Cragers

00BlackBeautyGT said:
I love the back panel. Should I do it? Or is it a waste of money on a black car? Did you have to drill holes to make it stay or just used some double sided tape?

First off, no drilling whatsoever. The glue / tape is on the panels, so all you have to do is prep the area, peel, then stick. It's strong stuff, so you won't have to worry about it coming off.

Shoot, as far as on your car, the only benefit you'd get is to have the honeycomb pattern (which is pretty faint) on either side of the taillights. The middle section is pretty smooth. I dunno... Personally, I think it would break up the back due to it not being as reflective as the paint. You'd definitely see a difference in the appearance, that's for sure. It wouldn't be a dramatic change, however, I think it would look good and give it some character over the stock paint now (that I'm picturing it).

LOL Dunno if that helped or not. :) I tend to ramble when it's getting late. At the very least, you could Photoshop the back of my car and put it on a picture of yours to give you an idea. Good luck!

hobbes80 said:
can you make the pics any bigger? :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of the honey comb on the back of the decklid, but I must say that I do like the way it looks on your car. Matches the louvers well... A flat black spoiler and hood scoop would add to that look really well.... The wheels don't fit in the "old school" though... Get some Mach1 rims or some old school Cragers

LOL Sorry about the picture size--I'm old so I don't like to have to "work" at trying to pick out details. :) (Plus, they are 50% smaller then what they started at...)

I was thinking the same thing for my next little project. I'll have to see how much it'll cost to get the spoiler painted. Also, I was thinking about painting the "lip" or "groove" in the center of the hood--where the hood scoop is. I'll have to play around with PS and see how it might turn out / what's the best way to approach it.

The wheels, ya, I totally forgot about Cragers. But the ones I have now seem to have that "beefy" and chrome old-school look to me. <shrug> It would be a while before I could afford new rims, anyway, so I'm stuck if I find something I'd want. LOL Thanks for the comments!

car looks great :nice: love the retro theme u got going there, personally id go bullitt and shave the side scoops and spoiler next, but thats me.
little off topic, i like those wheels, american racing rebel chrome right? how much u get those for if u dont mind me asking, i kinda been looking for some.

Car looks sweet, same color as mine. :nice: Im not a fan of chrome. If the day comes and your ready to check out rims again, look at the deep lip halibrands with the optional spinners. that would prolly set your ride off nice.

spikeGT_99 said:
A little off topic, i like those wheels, american racing rebel chrome right? how much u get those for if u dont mind me asking, i kinda been looking for some.

Yes, they are American Racing Rebels--and no, I don't mind at all. I paid $400.00 apiece for 'em (mounted, balanced, etc.). Traded in my Bullit wheels which were on the car for a $50.00 apiece discount. (I know, I know, I was stupid--but I got them before I found you guys here on the boards.) :)

007 said:
I think it looks great! My only concern would be that it might be ANOTHER place for water to collect and drip from after you dry your car... how is it?

There is a gap at the top & bottom, so I imagine water will collect there when you hose it down. I'll have to let you know how it does in the rain. However, I can't imagine it being any worse than the honeycomb scoops after you wash your car. LOL Those things collect water like a sponge, and it seems to take a while before they completely dry. So I don't think it will be that bad compared to the scoops. ;)

Thanks again for the comments guys, and I'll look at some other wheels when I get a windfall of cash. ;) However, for the time being, they work for me--I really like chrome (which reminds me, I'll have to take an updated interior pic here soon... that'll really drive you guys nuts). LOL

Looks GREAT man!!! :nice: Forget these other guys ;), I LOVE those chrome rims :drool: If I didnt want mine to appear mostly stock I would get them in a second. I love the deep dish look. Buddy of mine got some deep dish bullets and they look :drool: on his Black '04. I was thinking about the honeycomb on my Performance Red, but a guy in our club already has it on his red convertable, so I didnt want to copy him. Plus its so freaking expensive for what it is IMO.