My project has come to a halt - found wheel locks on rims and i dont have a key!!!

1990Coupe

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Toms River NJ
Well like the title says. I was about to remove my front rims to being my 5 lug swap when what do i see? WHEEL LOCKS on every rim. I do not have a key for them. Does anyone have any ideas how i can get these things off without spending hours and hours drilling/grinding/cutting/chiseling them off??? The rims are in perfect shape and i really didn't want to ruin a nice set of rims.

IMG_6314.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

After looking at your pic the socket method may not work but it is probably worth a try. You might also try one of those rounded nut extractors sears sells, it may bite onto that outside.
Good luck!

Knock a socket onto it thats slightly smaller, I mean HAMMER IT ON THERE. Then rip it off with an impact.

This was the method i was going to attempt. I don't want to ruin any of my sockets so i may hit up sears and purchase 4 sockets that i can hammer on and not worry if they get destroyed.

After looking at your pic the socket method may not work but it is probably worth a try. You might also try one of those rounded nut extractors sears sells, it may bite onto that outside.
Good luck!

They make them large enough to bite on the outside? I do have access to an impact gun so that should help

10-holes with a 1991 engineering number?? Hmm...i wonder what Ford changed on them??

Yep stock 91 with stock 10 holes. This must be a ford stock locking nut. What do u mean engineering number?? :scratch:

This is the only info I could find about the part number. Info

From what I understand the E5SC rim wont clear the 87+ front brakes. My theory is that the E7SC ("S" is a T-bird) and the F1ZC are the same. Ford might have "cleaned" up their inventory numbers since the T-bird was a long way away from a fox in '91, and the 10 hole was only offered on the Mustang. Did they even offer the 10 holes on the 5.0 in '91, I know the ssp's had them, but they always had "special" parts.

If anyone has a better answer I'm open.:shrug:

10 hole was offered till 91 I think If I rember right in 92 they went to 16 inch pony wheels. Witch is why the wheel wells on the 92 and 93 were just a tad big larger.

I have a lock on the spare tire on my F150 whene I had a flat a few months ago I found I did not have a key. I went to Ford and even though they did not have or even sell the keys they gave me a number to call to get one. I had to take a pic of the lock and emailed it to them they sent me the key the next day. So befor you start breaking **** go to ford first them might be able to help. btw it was only 20 $ for the shipping and the key. I looked for there number but I cant find it sorry.

10 hole was offered till 91 I think If I rember right in 92 they went to 16 inch pony wheels. Witch is why the wheel wells on the 92 and 93 were just a tad big larger.

I have a lock on the spare tire on my F150 whene I had a flat a few months ago I found I did not have a key. I went to Ford and even though they did not have or even sell the keys they gave me a number to call to get one. I had to take a pic of the lock and emailed it to them they sent me the key the next day. So befor you start breaking **** go to ford first them might be able to help. btw it was only 20 $ for the shipping and the key. I looked for there number but I cant find it sorry.

That makes sence but my car was a 4cyl, so the 10 holes were a top of the line option for it!

lang williams: thanks for that tip i'll run to advance and see what they have! I also need a tie rod fork so i'll pick one up there too!

10-hole was used until 1990. 1991 is when the V8 models got the pony wheels

However, the 10-hole was then stuck on the 4-banger models until 1993 and the SSP cars also got them til 1993.

I wish i kept my 10-holes. I had an absolutely MINT set on my '88. I sold them for $100...but wish i kept them. I wonder where they are now

AAAHHHH!!!

I ended up getting a 13/16" 12 point socket and was able to hammer that on.. I only got the front 2 wheels off, i'll worry about the rears when it comes time to do the rears! At least i know it can be done now..

It sucks though because i'm ruining perfectly good sockets but at 6 bucks a socket, and the 2 mins it takes to get them off, its worth it!!

Thanks everyone for the help!:nice:

If Factory Lug Locks you can go to any Ford Service parts department and they will let you use a Lock Socket Kit. It has all the lock codes about 12 sockets and get the locks off. I have taken cars to many dealers and they just held on to my Visa for deposit while I take the locks off.