My Quest for a 10 second pass.

90lxcoupe

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
So in an effort to try to run 10's on motor, heres what went down this week in preparation for me taking a 4 hour trip to Atco dragstrip.

I did a turkey day tranny swap, we put my buddies faceplated TKO 600 in the car, and i also took his 26x10 slicks and put them on my v6 tri bars, borrowed my buddies trailer, loaded up the truck today and im tired as a hooker on the 4th of july, whatever that means.

I also borrowed a friends camcorder and another friends in car camera, so i will have plenty of video

:worthlesb

I'll have pics and possibly video by monday

• Sponsors (?)

can't wait to hear about the times, sometimes I get the urge to throw some slicks on the back of my new GT and see what it can really do with some traction... i bet you either break into the 10s or break some parts worth 10 grand haha, there'll be a 10 in there somewhere...

eh, didnt run what i wanted to, it was kind of a dissapointing day, i ran an 11.40 at 122 mph right off the trialer, then another 11.40, then an 11.50 short shifting 3rd-4th, and i dont even remember what the last run was. The car is picking up 27 mph between the 1/8 and the 1/4 mile so its making a asslaod of power up top.

I was having trouble on the launch, i would launch at 5000rpms and try to walk the clutch slowly, and it would hook pretty hard, then bog even harder. I tried this 3 times letting the clutch out a little different each time, and on the last pass i set the rev limiter to 6400 and put it to the wood and launched like that, and on that pass it spun hard. I should have probly used the slicks but i was so close with the drag radials.

I wish i could have gotten a few more passes, the track was jam packed and there was alot of down time between passes, i was lucky to get 4 runs in, most guys only got 3.

the 60's were 1.7x's if it didnt freaking bog im confident that it would have pulled the wheels, i think i may have been running to low of pressure on the drag radials.

Im not spraying it till i run 10's. on motor. Also thinking about putting a girlamatic in it if i spray it, dont really want to, but the car is gonna be a handfull on the bottle and if i spray it i wanna do a couple stages. That wont mix with a stick

Sorry about not getting the 10. I know how troubling it is to do in n/a with smaller cubes...i kinda gave it an effort years ago, still have a buddy trying(albeit we were/are doing it with 302/306's).

I did get my first 10 sec pass this weekend tho.... 10.66 @ 130mph. 60' was way off the norm, had clutch slipping issues. I think it could have gone .40's.

Can't wait till next year and try it again, maybe i won't wait until the last weekend of the year to get down the 1/4 mile,lol!!

the car can definitly do it, im debating if i wanna change things or leave it alone till next year and get some serious seat time in the car. I now have a truck that can tow the car i can take it further to better tracks and not have to worry about drving the thing 3 hours with no heat/ac and having my ears bleed

Also thinking about putting a girlamatic in it if i spray it, dont really want to, but the car is gonna be a handfull on the bottle and if i spray it i wanna do a couple stages. That wont mix with a stick

:jaw: Don't do that to me. What's wrong with nitrous and a stick? Other than being completely ****ing bad ass. Seems to work fine to me...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Another-Wonderbread-vid_43327.htm
How bout with a stock t5??
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/BPAs-Black-CoupeSTOCK-T5_38639.htm

the 60's were 1.7x's if it didnt freaking bog im confident that it would have pulled the wheels, i think i may have been running to low of pressure on the drag radials.

Im not spraying it till i run 10's. on motor. Also thinking about putting a girlamatic in it if i spray it, dont really want to, but the car is gonna be a handfull on the bottle and if i spray it i wanna do a couple stages. That wont mix with a stick

Nothing girly about it - the only way I'm gonna hit the 10's.

:jaw: Don't do that to me. What's wrong with nitrous and a stick? Other than being completely ****ing bad ass. Seems to work fine to me...
Another "Wonderbread" vid - Car Videos on StreetFire
How bout with a stock t5??
BPA's Black Coupe-STOCK T-5 - Car Videos on StreetFire

Why so dead set against the girlamatic? Still have to shift gears!

damn that thing moves lol. what size shot are you using?
Not my cars. But I believe they're stock block 347s with a 200 shot.
Nothing girly about it - the only way I'm gonna hit the 10's.

Why so dead set against the girlamatic? Still have to shift gears!
It's not shifting gears, you're telling the tranny when to shift, that's all. It takes almost all skill out of driving a car. Think about it this way, If you had a sister that weighed 100lbs. You could spend 30min teaching her how to drive a manual valve body automatic, and she will go faster in your car than you because she's lighter.
When a 10 or 11 sec stick car pulls up to the line at the track I can't help but smile and get all giddy. When a single digit automatic pulls up I yawn and walk the other way. It's probably just me, just a preference. The only time I think it's okay is in a turbo car where the auto is pretty much necessary to make the car work the way it should.
God damn, that guy is not human.
See, that's exactly the kind of responses that are cool to get when you know how to drive a car :D

Alright back on topic. Jeff did you get any videos from any of the runs?? I want to see that faceplated tko600 going through the gears!

Alright back on topic. Jeff did you get any videos from any of the runs?? I want to see that faceplated tko600 going through the gears!

I really dont wanna put an auto in it, but when i spray it i wanna throw a couple small shots on it(125 1st and a 175 2nd), and i think that a stick car, even with a faceplated tranny would be outta hand. But its still up in the air, for now im more worried about the tq boxes they were making all kinds of bad sounds coming down the return road.

Curious what were you running for air in the drag radials?

What do you think is causing the bog? Fuel, timing, mechanical?

Scott

Ok, had a 1000 watt halogen lightbulb smack me in the face today... my buddies trans is a 2.87 first gear, myne is a 3.27 first, so the 2.87 combined with my 28" tire didnt mix, i think had i tried the 26" slick i would have been good, but hey **** happens.

I had video but that got effed up too, my friends camera was set to the low quality and for some reason when i put them on my mac it looses the sound. But i did watch closely, and right before the car bogged it definitly picked the tire up a little bit.

Man, I dunno, I think ratchet shifted AT cars are badass so long as its fast enough to justify it. Mid-to-low tens on spray is justifiable. The only problem I see is that when you're not juicing it, you might wish you still had the stick, especially if you are up in the air about it right now.

Do you ever have plans on going 9s with that car? If you plan on a lot of spray, I can see it happening.

I know you were talking about Drag Week, you need to get in there and make a good showing. I love HRM, but if its one thing they are snobs about, its Fox Mustangs with SBFs- you never see them in that magazine. It seems like to get a Fox in their magazine it either has to have a BBC or a diesel in it. If you show up and run mid 9's on juice maybe they'll show some respect. :D