My transmission replacment thread

MyBlackBeast

Oct 2, 2008
I am in the process of replacing my T5 ,clutch and rear main seal. I have had a rear main seal leak for a long time. I even changed it twice before. This time upon further inspecton i noticed there is a groove in the crank shaft and the seal was torn up as you can see in the pictures.

• Sponsors (?)

I think after a while the seal does wear a groove. I didn't look to see if mine had a groove when I changed out my seal. I think I remember reading that repair seals position the seal in a different spot so it wouldn't ride on the groove?

I do know when I replaced my seal, it leaked for about 500-800 miles after that. Then it stopped. I have changed the oil, so the level is fine...just the leaking stopped.

Btw..my rms install tool. Worked nicely

attachment.php

There's a part just for this situation called a "redi-sleeve" that fits tightly over the existing crank surface and makes a nice new non-grooved surface for the seal to work against. I'm betting you can get one at your local NAPA.

There's a part just for this situation called a "redi-sleeve" that fits tightly over the existing crank surface and makes a nice new non-grooved surface for the seal to work against. I'm betting you can get one at your local NAPA.

Best answer so far... This is what I would do.

The PVC plug used for an installer is another great tip... Not all of us know how to fix everything, but some of us know how to fix some things with excellence!

I just got off the phone with microsleeve.com. I orderd the bearing sleeve and install tool. For the sleeve the tool its only $30. I will let you guys know when it comes in and how the install goes. I cant wait to install the T5 i rebuilt.

I just got off the phone with summit. I ordered a 255 walbro fuel pump and upper control arm bushings. I figured while my car is up in the air ill take off this stuff to. Also im gonna put the 94-95 Fuel rails on.

I'm curious on this question as well. I have replaced a rms twice and had oil leaking issues almost right afterwards. So basically the sleeve goes on over the crank and then you need a new rms correct? Is it the same size then also? An illustration would really help, even if it is just made in paint or something