Need a info on new exhaust system

Josh79

Sep 7, 2005
South Dakota
I am going to be buying a 95 gt this weekend. It has a very loud exhaust (and i mean very!!!) I like louder exhausts but this one is just too much. I am unsure of what is under the car but i know it has cheap uncoated flowtech longtubes. They are rusted and look like **** so i figure i might as well replace them with a nice set of ceramic coated headers plus they will cut out a little heat to right? I am thinking of going with mac longtubes and the prochamber to match them. Now if i do that what catback will fit that combo properly. Just mac's catback? I have never heard there catbacks before so i am unsure of what they sound like. I was thinking of going with a bassani bx catback as they sound pretty good i think or maybe even slp lm2s. Will the mac longtubes, prochamber and bassani catback or slp lm2s fight together properly? Any input would be helpful. I dont really want to take it to an exhaust shop, unless i could get a much better deal price wise i guess. What do you guys think? I am going to talk to my boss who had them put some headers on his chevelle to see what that cost him.

• Sponsors (?)

Well i do not have the car yet or a video camera so i dont think i will be able to get any clips. Very loud is like almost blow your eardrums out loud. I have a pickup dualed out w/ dynomax race bullets and it sounds pretty good (not too loud). It had glasspacks before but i pulled them off last weekend and switched to the bullets. When i did the swap i listened to my pickup with no mufflers at all. Exhaust manifolds and straight pipes. This was very loud of course and i would say the mustang was just under it. When i get it i will look under it and see what it has exactly to help out but i just wanted to get feedback started on possible exhausts. The car has a lot of work done to the motor and has a big cam so it will sound different than a stock gt i suppose. I am looking for a deep tone that is fairly loud but not extremely loud. I am thinking prochamber and lm2s would be a good choice maybe. I think i want to stay away from flowmasters and there drone. I have never experience before but i dont think i would be able to stand it daily. I dont want extremely raspy either a little rasp is alright though (rules out lm1s)I would bet that i am going to get pulled over with the current exhaust on the car... I may not even make it the 3 hr trip back to my house w/o getting pulled over.

No, the reason i am going to change the longtubes is because they are cheap uncoated flowtechs. I am changing everything most likely, not just headers and the midpipe. As soon as i get the car (sat probably) i will be able to tell you guys what is on it hopefully. I am thinking of going with the mac lts and the prochamber and was wondering what catback you guys would reccomend to go with the lts and prochamber. I was leaning towards slp lm2s or the bassani catback.

I usually don't get involved in exhaust threads as everybody thinks differently about what sounds good to them
HOWEVER
I have seen several say the ProChamber is not what you would call on the quiet side :shrug:

Good luck with your decision :)

Grady

I'm with Grady. Me gots a Mac exhaust (headers to tips) and even while being catted, it's a loud one. I think someone recently posted that the Faq sticky has exhaust info on it, and Mac was right below straight pipes in terms of noise (I dont read that sticky cuz it takes forever to load on slow poke ISP). Also, check out Chris's (Don John's) exhaust site.

Good luck.

Yeah if you want a significant cut in sound, you should get a midpipe with high flow cats. It won't restrict the exhaust too much, just enough to quiet it down a lot.

Mac mufflers aren't quiet BTW. The magnaflows and bassani's are quieter, but without cats, it's gonna be pretty loud.

What mods does the car have? Stock h/c/i??? If it's not stock, you definately need cats to quiet it down.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
What mods does the car have? Stock h/c/i??? If it's not stock, you definately need cats to quiet it down.
Scott

This is often over looked by some :)

The more hp you throw at the same exhaust setup .............

The louder it gets :eek:

I went from a ported E7 combo with shortys, Bassani cat x-pipe, and stock catback

TO

The sig combo with LT's, catted h-pipe and stock catback

It was MUCH louder :eek:

Grady

final5-0 said:
This is often over looked by some :)

The more hp you throw at the same exhaust setup .............

The louder it gets :eek:

I went from a ported E7 combo with shortys, Bassani cat x-pipe, and stock catback

TO

The sig combo with LT's, catted h-pipe and stock catback

It was MUCH louder :eek:

Grady

Yeah, I pondered it as well, when my brothers 03 GT had the same exhaust and his was twice as loud. Then it dawned upon me, him having a much higher CFM flowing engine. The air that comes in has to come out...lol.

My friends 01 cobra is even worse with a dr. gas o/r x and dumps....:eek:

Well i believe the engine is far from stock. It has 5 grand in the motor (supposedly waiting to find out exactly what but definately has a cam). Maybe i should go longtubes, catted h and lm2s or something like that as i never thought of it being louder than a stock motor. I will be able to help you guys out more once i get the car sat and see what it has but the only way to describe it is LOUD there is no deep tone just a constant loud noise and this is when idling and cruising around town i have no idea as what it sounds like at wot. I want something that has a nice deep tone and aint too hard on my ear drums. does the flowmaster american thunder catback have drone? I imagine it would.

actually it very likely could be dumped. I dont remember and tips coming out back. That is what i figured but in the the whole mess that was going on when i looked at the car i didnt remember to look under it.

ok well i got the car yesterday and i was suprised how much quieter it was cruising down the highway. A little after 2k rpms the noise goes away so i figured that they were flowmasters and the noise was the drone i have heard people complain about. I looked under it today and it has flowmasters that are dumped. It looks like it still has the stock h pipe w/ converters though and i see where one had a spot welded on it so it must have had a hole. So i may just try a new catback. What do you guys think would give it a nice deep sound? It has flowmaster lts, stock h pipe w/ converters. I am actually debating on getting bbk ceramic coated longtube headers, their shorty highflow catted h pipe to match their headers (seen one slighty used cheap) and dunno on the catback... slp lm2s, bassani, magnaflow??? What do you guyus think?

If you JUST put tailpipes on it you would be AMAZED at how much quieter it will get. I bet you wouldnt even think it was too loud then. I went from dumps to tailipipes with my setup and it was a world of a difference. Much much much quieter. Just go pick up a set of MAC tailpipes and throw those on and see what you think. The worst that can happen is you still dont like the sound, but you have to buy the tailpipes eventually anyways so why not. Good luck!

well after doing some thinking and looking i dunno if i want to go w/ the bbk catted h pipe. Saw where some people had fitment issues. Also i dont think the motor has had as much work done to it as they claim so i may go with mac lts, the prochamber to match it and some catback. The flowmasters dumped are not that loud once you get past the drone. Cruising down the highway above 2k it is fairly quiet. I am looking for a setup that will just be a bolt in no cutting etc. I definately want some coated lts to cut down on the heat and look halfway decent. You can feel the heat through the floorboards and even up through the shifter boot.