Need a little help please

doubletap4311

Feb 8, 2011
I put on a BBK 78mm throttle body friday. I called bama and ordered a new tune. They have sent me out three tunes and I am still throwing the code p0172. Bank 1 too rich. What should I do? I have called them and they have adjusted the tunes a couple of times with negative results. The first tune would keep my rpms up to 1500 while the clutch was pushed in and rolling and throwing the too rich code on bank 1. The second tune corrected the rpm staying too high, but I am still throwing the code.

• Sponsors (?)

I put on a BBK 78mm throttle body friday. I called bama and ordered a new tune. They have sent me out three tunes and I am still throwing the code p0172. Bank 1 too rich. What should I do? I have called them and they have adjusted the tunes a couple of times with negative results. The first tune would keep my rpms up to 1500 while the clutch was pushed in and rolling and throwing the too rich code on bank 1. The second tune corrected the rpm staying too high, but I am still throwing the code.

What you should have done in the first place when it threw a code was to data log the car.

use your SCT tuner (don't know which model you have) and set it to data log your fuel curve for bank 1 and 2, your MAF numbers, TPS and A/F ratio while driving. Do a couple of runs such as city driving, some highway driving(speeds around 55 that are steady) and a couple of WOT pulls to 0% throttle.

This will let them see exactly what is going on with your car so they are not just guessing what to fix.

What you should have done in the first place when it threw a code was to data log the car.

use your SCT tuner (don't know which model you have) and set it to data log your fuel curve for bank 1 and 2, your MAF numbers, TPS and A/F ratio while driving. Do a couple of runs such as city driving, some highway driving(speeds around 55 that are steady) and a couple of WOT pulls to 0% throttle.

This will let them see exactly what is going on with your car so they are not just guessing what to fix.

thanks for the info. i would have done that if i had know too like i do now. i am surprised they didnt inform me to do this....

here is the data log. any ideas?
datalog002.png

By doubletap4311 at 2011-03-14

The O2 sensors control the air/fuel ratio of the car along with input signal from the MAF sensor.

If you feel helpless, you can clean the MAF with a dedicated cleaner found at auto parts stores and make sure that there are no leaks in your intake piping letting metered air escape. Since you just installed the 78mm throttle body/plenum, you might have a vacuum leak some where. 78mm is really too big for N/A cars which could also be causing the problem.

The O2 are the top 2, one on each bank and I suppose you can take the one from bank 1, passenger side and move it to bank 2 to see if the code follows the sensor. That way you will know its no the O2 senors that has gone bad.

Other than that, wait for the new tune.