Need a Small Big-Block?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah…Bad rod angle..Requires a 2500.00 bare block…Much bigger heads, custom pistons,…….and when it’s all said an done….

It looks like every other 351 w under a fox hood…

Thats so….yawn…..

Reactions: 1 user
:doh:
A guy can dream right?
So what was the cost? I didn't watch the entire thing, I'm still dreaming about a straight axle and a blower, I know what that can cost.

I think the only cost is having to listen to Mike's eyes roll up into the back of his head while he blathers on about how much better 4 bangers sound when set to rap music. :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I like the idea of MORE POWER! without the FE’s weight. But I would be tempted to keep it at 427 ci for vintage Cobra/Ford badging. At 460 ci, they might think you put a truck engine in without first looking.

Yeah…Bad rod angle..Requires a 2500.00 bare block…Much bigger heads, custom pistons,…….and when it’s all said an done….

It looks like every other 351 w under a fox hood…

Thats so….yawn…..
He's got a point. My college room mate is from Concord, and knows the guys that started Prestige. They have been doing these monster cubic inch Windsors for some time now. Going all out to squeeze a few extra cubic inches out of a small block doesn't really do anything. A normally stroked Windsor without all the custom stuff is going to make the same power, as the limiting factor is the heads. The point of using a big block isn't the displacement, it's the room to move air in the heads. So if you are using Trick Flow heads with the valve spacing designed for a 4.00" bore, going to a 4.185" bore doesn't help you any. I'm also always surprised on where people spend their money. That's easily a $15k engine at the very least. Why did they cheap out on the oil pan gasket? Also, why are they using DSS pistons which are the Walmart brand of the engine industry?

As for a dream build, I have had friends with solid roller cams. They are a massive pain in the ass.

Kurt

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Again…a 460…as big and heavy as they are, with heads that are now available for that engine, ( intended to feed 460 c.i. or more) will make more torque, look way more impressive than a 351 in a fox engine compartment, and live well beyond expectation, making the same or more power for way less money than that yawn-ese 351 Windsor.

1629600674122.png

...and these are the mid-sized AFR BBF heads. These numbers destroy the CJ, SCJ, and Blue Thunder heads I used to run. They're not cheap, but you're not building a BBF to save money.

1629600674122.png

...and these are the mid-sized AFR BBF heads. These numbers destroy the CJ, SCJ, and Blue Thunder heads I used to run. They're not cheap, but you're not building a BBF to save money.
just the same…these heads on 514 BBF will make more power for way less money than any mega stroked Windsor will be capable of..

If you’re gonna put 460 c.i. under the hood of a Fox, don’t be stupid..there’s already a engine out there that’s that big just waiting for you in a Lincoln Town car.
Once you have it…Why settle for 460 inches..when 540 is far more easier and about 1/3rd as expensive.?
Ill put a 385 series budget build up against any stroker Windsor any day.

I agree 100%. If you're headed in the big cubes direction, the additional weight from a 385 is no longer an issue. Finding a transmission that can handle the torque should be your new concern.

I wasn't actually advocating a BBF build. I've worked on a 460 in a fox body. That's a whole new pain in the ass. It barely fits no matter what you do. Now try to plumb a turbocharger in there. Not to mention FE engines are a hassle, and leak oil.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user