Need advice for properly setting up valvetrain

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I just bought a set of Trick Flow TW heads. They're designed for hydraulic roller motors but I'm planning on using it with hydraulic flat tappet. They are coming with Crane roller rockers. They have guideplates attached already, the heads are 7/16 stud type.

As far as required pushrod length goes, can I use the Compcam pushrod length recommendation (assuming I use a compcams cam and lifters)?

Does anyone have a step-by-step at how to set up the rocker/spring?

Also, does milling the heads effectively increase the lift the rocker/spring sees? I would think so, but want to be sure. Since the springs that are on the heads are the standard trick flow springs, it actually makes a difference with what cams I can use.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

no, it will not increase the lift. However, you may need different pushrods depending on extent of the milling. It is best to check with an adjustable pushrod checker, since your application is rather unique

I have to throw a " no vote" to the Lunati set up.

If you are going to use roller rockers, do not use the Lunati checking rocker.

Use a quality adjustable pushrod, and what ever rocker arms you are going to put on the engine.

There are several 'soft' springs you can use to hold the retainer on the valves while you are doing your manual engine revolutions.

Also, if you have not selected your cam, be sure to get a cam and lifter set that includes the springs, and make sure to check the installed height!

I had a horribletime getting my top end squared away! If you look in my signature block, the 68 cougar has issues, and I put most of them online, so that others may be spared my learning pain!

I used an Edelbrock performer cam, .496/.520 in my .030 289.

Looking at the numbers, it should be a fun combo, and not that rowdy.

I am on me second cam and lifter set, 3rd set of push rods, two complete head rebuilds.

So, to sum up, in my opinion, which is worth what it cost (see disclaimer) who ever makes your cam, used their springs.

Measure for correct push rod length, using the roller rockers you will use on the engine. Learn as much as you can stand about spring rates and lobe lift.
And, while you are bettering your engine, don't forget to upgrade the transmission brakes, and rear gears to take safe advantage of your new power plant!

I have to throw a " no vote" to the Lunati set up.

If you are going to use roller rockers, do not use the Lunati checking rocker.

Use a quality adjustable pushrod, and what ever rocker arms you are going to put on the engine.

There are several 'soft' springs you can use to hold the retainer on the valves while you are doing your manual engine revolutions.
i posted the link for the pictures on how to see if your pushrods are too long or short more than advocating the lunati kit. I feel its best to use a solid lifter and the rocker that you're going to use on the build.