Need advice on flywheel

new46stang

Jun 5, 2002
AZ
Hello All,

I am building a 331 and I need some advice on flywheel/flexplate. The internals are currently at the machine shop waiting to be balanced. I am going to supply them with the balancer, flexplate, and flywheel (28.2oz. for all) I am undecided on trans so I am doing both right now.

Here is what I have:

91 LX/AOD

Balancer: Ford Racing - M-6316-C351
Flexplate: Ford Racing - M-6375-G302

I need recommendations on flywheel. I was thinking of M-6375-A302 or M-6375-A302A.

Should I go with an aluminum flywheel or billet steel. Please give me your input.

Thanks,
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

My question though is why are you worried abot flywheels if you are a auto car?

I want to convert to a 5sp but I am not sure at what point (soon though) I'm going to do it so I want to get both a flywheel and flexplate and get the balanced with the 331. Once I get the 5sp all I have to do is bolt on the flywheel and I dont have to worry about the balance. Make sense? :)

Matt

Aluminum is the ticket. Unless money is an object then buy a billet steel. I run a fidanza aluminum and I would NEVER EVER run a heavy flywheel again! Must be nice to be rich and buy parts "just incase" :p

Yup x2 :D , I also use a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and its dam good. easy to shift and now my car is rev happy. I think a fidanza flywheel is $350.00 to $400.00

I would like to see someone do just a flywheel swap and see what they think...

I have talked to a few, they set is was a bit touchy off idle and the revs would drop quicker in between shifts.

Watch out for bias answers. Some like to take up for parts they run. Some are very informative and give you honest opinions.

Is it true the heavier the flywheel the MORE low-end torque you have but the less up top whereas a lighter flywheel loses low-end but GAINS it back up top? Is this correct?

Pretty much and when you miss a shift w/ an aluminum there is nothing to stop the motor from over-revving. For a street car, I am an advocate for billet steel.