Need Alternator/regulator Wiring Diagram

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
This is taylor made for you @jrichker, The crotchedy alternator I have on the Gila Monster,..was a mess,..the alternator was covered in grease, and bad at the same time. The old wiring harness that was on the alternator is a flaming P.O.S. w/ wires broken/severed under the convoluted tubing.

I am in process of rebuilding the alt wiring harness,..but really am not comfortable w/ how it is going.
The back of the alt has 3 labels: The "Bat" is obvious. The "Fld", and "Sta" are my points of contention.
There is an orange/blue wire, and a white/black wire coming from a two wire plug type connector that seems easy enough, and there are the remains of those same two wires in the hagged out alt harness. But,....the white/blk wire coming from my alt harness is running directly to the choke on the carb. Is the white/blk wire supposed to split, and go to bot the connector,...and the choke?

• Sponsors (?)

To make things a little more clear, you might want to include the year of vehicle (and harness, if not OEM) and the generation of alternator that's being used.

Good luck.

This is taylor made for you @jrichker, The crotchedy alternator I have on the Gila Monster,..was a mess,..the alternator was covered in grease, and bad at the same time. The old wiring harness that was on the alternator is a flaming P.O.S. w/ wires broken/severed under the convoluted tubing.

I am in process of rebuilding the alt wiring harness,..but really am not comfortable w/ how it is going.
The back of the alt has 3 labels: The "Bat" is obvious. The "Fld", and "Sta" are my points of contention.
There is an orange/blue wire, and a white/black wire coming from a two wire plug type connector that seems easy enough, and there are the remains of those same two wires in the hagged out alt harness. But,....the white/blk wire coming from my alt harness is running directly to the choke on the carb. Is the white/blk wire supposed to split, and go to bot the connector,...and the choke?

The wire to the choke was for the choke heater. There is no exhaust heat in the log style intake manifold, so the choke heater was used. It has a thermostat switch in it to turn on in cold weather and off when it warms up. It was supposedly setup to only turn on when the engine was running and the alternator was putting out electricity.

here's some help on a 3G swap....
3G install into an 85 or earlier Mustang:
attachment.php

I would recommend the addition of a 2 amp fuse on the Light Green/Red wire that goes to the switched ignition.
I would use a maximum of 125 amp fuse for the output wire that connects to the starter solenoid.