Need carburetor and distributor advice for 1965 6 cylinder 200 ci engine

I've been reading different posts on various websites about replacing the carburetor on my 1965 Mustang. It sounds like it can be tricky and also involves making sure the distributor is the correct one. So instead of worrying about what may or may not be compatible... What is the right carburetor and distributor for a 200 ci 6 cylinder 3 speed manual transmission? Not looking for the most expensive, but just what will work the best.

Can anyone help guide me to the right combination?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You have a Load-O-Matic distributor which requires a compatible carburetor. If you want, you can use a later carburetor and distributor to eliminate the Load-O-Matic compatability problem unless you want to keep the originals.

Holley used to sell a stock type aftermarket replacement (Model 1940?) that was a cheap bolt on affair and was compatible with the Load-o-matic. It was nice, reasonably cheap and functioned well on a stock motor and could be found at your local auto parts store. I don't know if they make such things anymore.

Thanks guys. What I am hoping is that someone can tell me exactly what to buy to replace both the carburetor and distributor so they match and there are no issues. Perfect would be model numbers and brand. I've heard about the Autolite 1100 and if that is correct, then just need to know what the matching distributor would be. Really appreciate you guys responding1

Try and find a Carter YF for a 1968 200 ci. That will flow 187 CFM which is a tad more than the Autolite you have now that flows 185CFM. It will also work with a newer distributor, meaning you can find and use a complete DURASPARK system out of a 1970s 200 with the control box.