Electrical Need Fuse box help

Rcdgl

5 Year Member
Feb 19, 2018
My 89 Fox coupe has developed and intermittent ac failure.

Most of the time removing and reinstalling the ac fuse (Fuse 6) fixes it. It has never blown the fuse.

Can you easily take the fuse box out or loose so you can access the connectors on the back side of it?

Any other fix for this prob?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the fuse panel unbolts from the frame brace for the lower dash support.
Then push it back so that it drops down out of the bracket. With the large number of wires attached to it, it will not be an easy task.

Ok, got the fusebox loose and could not find any issues.

But, a check of the cooling fan module behind it reveals it has melted the connector again. I have the connector repair kit, and just ordered another module.

This is my 4 banger 89. I already took the fan off the box and use it to run another relay nearer the fan that has battery power, gotta check to see if I need to put the ac clutch and interior blower motor on their own relays.

Anyone got any suggestions on this critter.

This is a 'not enough info' situation. So this thread is in the wrong place, not your fault but lets get to the problem or problems at hand. We know you have the intermittent ac problem, and now we know about the cooling fan relay issues, they may be related. Sounds like you may be having a problem with something drawing too many amps so let me ask if there are any aftermarket things like a stereo or amplifier for example added to the circuit

Ok, follow up. This issue came up a year or more ago, ac would not work, had charge, etc. Took it to my favorite shop and it worked fine for them.

When I picked it up, no ac. While fooling with it, I bumped the ac fuse and it started working. So that has fixed it for a year and a half now.

Problem reoccurred as noted above. Bumping the fuse did not always fix it. Thought I should check the fuse setup. HMMM. Finally did and that did not seem to help.

So, I checked the fan controller module under the dash. I messed with these four years ago. Ended up using the module to operate additional relays for the fan. But I ended up reinstalling everything with a slightly melted connector and the old module. The melted connector and the connector that powers the ac clutch apparently became intermittent. So installed my last new module and connector and she is working like she is supposed to.

Ordered another module and connector just in case.