Need help, 2000 3.8 sputtering

Brads2000

Jan 8, 2019
Alabama
Bought a used 2000 3.8 manual with 210k miles. Got it cheap b/c it was wrecked in front. Anyways, it had stale fuel cause it had been sitting up for a while. Put used cold air intake on off of parts car. Never drove anywhere, just sat up and ran occasionally. Had rats in it, has electrical issues with reverse lights,etc... Started sputtering and skipping, so i changed plugs, it cleared up. It sat another 8 months, just started driving as a daily driver. Has rough idle and stutters and sputters bad under load. Changed fuel filter, ran fuel system cleaner, swapped coil pack from parts car,checked maf. Shows misfire on #6 code, and 1233 code for fuel pump module and maf code for voltage. Will continue to run diag with snap on scanner. Anyone had similar problems with one that's been sitting up for a while? Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Bought a used 2000 3.8 manual with 210k miles. Got it cheap b/c it was wrecked in front.

Nothing wrong here, we all will jump on a deal and see what we can get out of things on the low cost end. but it seems that you need a little extra love to get this as a DD

Anyways, it had stale fuel cause it had been sitting up for a while.

Did you drain the tank at all before you cranked it over?

so i changed plugs, Changed fuel filter, ran fuel system cleaner, swapped coil pack from parts car, checked maf.

Good Start here on the simple things that look to be from a known working donor car. When you changed the coil pack, did you also take the wires or are they new?

Put used cold air intake on off of parts car. Never drove anywhere, just sat up and ran occasionally. Started sputtering and skipping, it cleared up. It sat another 8 months,

Drive 1x to work a week to stop battery loss and general "Sitting Up" this is a good rule for any vehicle that you have. Dont let it sit for extended periods because that is where bad things begin.

just started driving as a daily driver. Has rough idle and stutters and sputters bad under load. Shows misfire on #6 code, and 1233 code for fuel pump module and maf code for voltage. Will continue to run diag with snap on scanner. Anyone had similar problems with one that's been sitting up for a while?

Swap the Plug wire at both ends #5 and #6 then recheck it. If the misfire has moved to #5 then its the wires. Its not a perfect test but its a beginning.

Had rats in it, has electrical issues with reverse lights,etc...
Name the rats or evict them. Pull a Part for new wire harness or just make your own its not that hard in the end.

Last edited:
Bought a used 2000 3.8 manual with 210k miles. Got it cheap b/c it was wrecked in front. Anyways, it had stale fuel cause it had been sitting up for a while. Put used cold air intake on off of parts car. Never drove anywhere, just sat up and ran occasionally. Had rats in it, has electrical issues with reverse lights,etc... Started sputtering and skipping, so i changed plugs, it cleared up. It sat another 8 months, just started driving as a daily driver. Has rough idle and stutters and sputters bad under load. Changed fuel filter, ran fuel system cleaner, swapped coil pack from parts car,checked maf. Shows misfire on #6 code, and 1233 code for fuel pump module and maf code for voltage. Will continue to run diag with snap on scanner. Anyone had similar problems with one that's been sitting up for a while? Any suggestions?
Well i found and fixed the issue yesterday. Feel like an idiot for not noticing it sooner and surprised it even ran at all.
#3 and #4 plug wires were swapped on the coil. So either someone did it on purpose while i was gone for a few months or whatever idiot owned the car before me did it when putting on last set of wires.

Well i found and fixed the issue yesterday. Feel like an idiot for not noticing it sooner and surprised it even ran at all.
#3 and #4 plug wires were swapped on the coil. So either someone did it on purpose while i was gone for a few months or whatever idiot owned the car before me did it when putting on last set of wires.
and #6 plug was cracked.