Need help-306 or 331 for a daily driver

Chris6050

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2000
Nazareth, PA
I have my money finally saved up to get my engine rebuilt. I'm having a tough time deciding what to go with. My car is a daily driver. I can't decide if I want to make it a 306 or put a 331 stroker kit in it. I only race it a couple times a year. Most of the time I just like cruising and romping on it from time to time. I'm going to use these parts in my new engine, so I want to base the decision on what would work better with these parts:

-Holley Systemax heads
-Trick Flow Street Heat intake
-Trick Flow stage 1 cam (but will probably use a FTI cam instead)
-headers (not sure if I want long tube or shorty)
-190 fuel pump
-24# injectors
and everything else that is in my sig.

I'm just trying to find out what your guys opinions are on if I should go with a 306 or 331. Thanks a lot.

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

How many of you guys actually have a 331 or 347 stroker for a daily driver? Im not saying it can't be done buy how reliable is it and how many miles can a stroker motor last that is driven everyday?

Go with a 347, 16 extra inches could be another 20hp if done right. If your dead set on using those parts, go with the FTI cam, longtube headers and get a TFS track heat upper over the street heat and get a 75mm TB.

I went from a 306 to a 331 and my car is a daily driven car.. I just got it together about 2-3wks ago..I would go with the 331 as for a daily driven car...my engine has 200miles so far, so its not ready to hammer on yet..lol

do a 347 stroker, if you're going DSS, their 347 is just as reliable as 331 stroker. as for reliability over all my friend just put together a supercharged 347 and its doing fine so far. its going to be his daily driver and get pretty good gas mileage, just dont beat the $h|t out of ur car too often and u should be fine

personally i'm building a 306ci with aluminum heads and a new upper/lower intake, and some 1.7 roller rockers, (saw this combo making 400hp on a carbed version), so i'll prolly be around 350 flywheel hp and then i'm going to supercharge (Eventually) with a good 8psi (gotta love those forged pistons)....see where this is headed? u dont need a 331 or 347 to get what you want, just gotta do it right and turn up the boost, haha! but for reals....as they say, theres no REPLACEMENT for DISPLACEMENT...

Yes, yes. 331 or 347. You will love the added torque of the extra cubes. :nice: I used to bracket race a .030 over Olds 455 (461) powered car. Nothing like having over 500 ft-lbs of torque, just above idle. If you can afford the extra cubes, get them! I can't right now. :(

i was and still am on a budget and thats why i went with a 308 opposed to a 331 or 347. Still will be one nice street machine regardless. To each his own. Did u really expect alot people to say yeah get the 306. NOT. Of course there going to say go with more cubes.