Need help! 89 mustang project

Hey guys. New to the site, and recently got myself a project fox. My current issue is, I did an AC eliminator bracket and moved the power steering up. That being said- I ran a string and it requires a 69.5” belt. Using the factory tensioner, it’s almost like it’s too much tension and pulls the power steering pump bracket “in” (almsot twisting it) causing the serp belt to rub on itself. Anyone else had this issue? Can I not use the factory tensioner?

I attached a video trying to show how it flexes when tension is released then placed back onto it again

• Sponsors (?)

788CA8E8-93A4-40E3-AACD-F0A957BAFAEF.jpeg
Here ya go

The diagram is not off, your pulleys are, do you have under drive pulleys? That would change the belt length. Also the ps bracket should not move as you discribe. It should mount solid.

I understand the ps bracket shouldn’t move. That’s why I’m curious if this factory 89 tensioner isn’t what i should be using for this application. I’m running a 130 amp alt also which may change it a bit. But even with a 70.5” belt it seems to be too long. Attached is the front of the motor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 129
Think maybe the alternator/tensioner bracket isn’t correct? I bought this car a month ago and have been chasing someone else’s project since. Possibly the bracket I have is the wrong one. The tensioner lined up with it but that doesn’t mean anything at this point.
You are missing something somewhere. Every fox runs a serpentine belt system . If you measured the belt length, and you can actually get the belt to fit, the tensioner doesn't add any additional pull that the brackets can't handle.........unless one of the brackets isnt anchored properly.

You are missing something somewhere. Every fox runs a serpentine belt system . If you measured the belt length, and you can actually get the belt to fit, the tensioner doesn't add any additional pull that the brackets can't handle.........unless one of the brackets isnt anchored properly.

I’m not sure what it would be. The PS bracket has the 3 bolts to mount to the pump to the bracket, and 2 longer bolts that mount the whole assembly to the motor on the left hand side. I just feel like the flex I’m getting out of the bracket isn’t right. Something definitely isn’t right and I just can’t seem to find what it is

Just did that! The black bracket that goes from the water pump to the Ps pump was never installedthwt backer keeps the PS bracket rigid and in place. So I’ll be contacting LMr and hopefully they’ll send me just that one piece the previous owner never installed. Thanks guys for all the help

Reactions: 1 user