Need Help!!! Changing Police Notch Interior to Black

Hey guys....it has been a while since I have been on here. I am hoping some of you may be able to help. I sold my notch and have been out of the mustang scene for a while. I am currently working on a project for my buddy. Changing over the interior of his police notch to all black.

He found alot of parts on craigs list which helped. Complete dash, which I already swapped out and other stuff. I believe the donor car was a 90 or newer which causes a problem for the rear seatbelts and rear inside quarter panels. The 89 and older only had a lap belt and the 90 and newer had a shoulder harness. The rear quarters will not work unless you use the shoulder harness style seat belt and I do not thing there is a way to mount them in this 89. If I still had my 91 I could look how they are mounted but unfortunately I do not have my car any more.

CJ pony parts and other places have rear seat belts for $200. Does anyone know of a place to get them cheaper??? Any online salvage places to call???

And the rear inside quarters.....I can not find them anywhere. Does anyone have a clue where to get them??? Or does anyone have a set from 89 or older that wants to trade for a 90 or newer set???

Any help would be appreciated.

Other problem I ran into was painting the stuff that needed paint. I ordered black interior paint 90-93 from latemodel restoration and after painting everything it was dark blue.....they are mailing me black for 79-93. I hope it is black this time...don't know if they labeled cans wrong or what. It sucked having the stuff painted and then bolting it on and seeing it is different. In the garage with the limited light I have it looked black.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.

20110104154435.jpg

20110104161431.jpg

20110105145136.jpg

glovebox.jpg

centerconsole.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Black interior was only available in 79-84 and 90-93. So for the aero style dash, 90-903 is your only option. As you've seen...there are A few differences

You can use the rear quarters, but find a set of 79-84 lap belts. To run the shoulder belts you need to cut the braces out of a 90-93 notch and weld them in.

Also, you'll notice you need to lower the front belt upper mounts a bit. Just need to drill a 1" hole about 2" or so lower.

For the column, use the 87-89 trim around it.

As for paint. Nothing matches, or it scratches off...especially the console. You might get away with the glovebox, but in a year or so, the tan will start to wear through. I painted a few of my parts when I put a black interior in my '88, but ended up later buying oem black stuff because in the right light, it never matched.

Btw, that beige interior was very clean and very rare! I would have left it. Black interior shows all the dirt and dust :(

i would buy new carpet , wash your interior pieces with a water/laundry detergent scrub brush, then put protectant on it.
get some 99-04 tan leather seats bolt them in and have an apolster do the rear cover and you would have a very nice interior.

as far as your swap i have done this twice now, you need to use all real black pieces, you can get away with painting the rear quarters but everything else needs to be original black. you know how it works if you throw it together. I got most of my stuff from egay and craigslistsesss but its a bunch of work.

ya i know i know...i def looked black in my garage....lighting isn't that good. Once you got the stuff into the sunlight you could tell. It looks even more noticeable in the pics because of the flash from the camera.

The tan interior wasn't that nice at all even though it may look so in the pics. The only nice thing about it was the new black carpet and the seats were previously redone. I already died the rear seats black and they came out good. Going to do the same for the fronts.

The dash was beat up and stained and the rear quarters were beat up and cracked.

So if I have this right....I need to find black lap belts from a 79-84 and rear quarters from a 79-84???

Also, the 1 problem with the rear quarters being different is like Mustang5L5 said with the upper belt hole mount but also the top rear of the quarter where the shoulder harness would mount. If you put the newer quarters in there without the shoulder belt there is a gap. It doesn't go all the way back to meet up with the top back carpet piece up top. So I guess I will have to find quarters from a 79-84.

I don't think I can use 90-93 rear quarters without the shoulder belt because there is a gap there. If you can understand what I am saying. And I guess the only way to use shoulder belt is to weld in the support and I'm not doing all that.

So if I have this right....I need to find black lap belts from a 79-84 and rear quarters from a 79-84???

Also, the 1 problem with the rear quarters being different is like Mustang5L5 said with the upper belt hole mount but also the top rear of the quarter where the shoulder harness would mount. If you put the newer quarters in there without the shoulder belt there is a gap. It doesn't go all the way back to meet up with the top back carpet piece up top. So I guess I will have to find quarters from a 79-84.

The 79-84 rear quarters are ugly. You really don't want to run these unless you have to.

I am unfamiliar with the gap that the coupe quarters will leave. My car is a hatchback, so leaving the gaps open doesn't look that bad really. This was my solution. Nobody sits in my rear seat, so I don't have seat belts installed cuz I just didn't like the buckles in the way.
pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=1134943

I will have to take a pic and post it to show you what I am talking about. I will do that tomorrow. If I can find quarters from an 87-89 and have to paint them, do you think priming them or painting them with a regular black paint first then going over it with the interior paint will help it help it hold up better??

I searched and searched and can't find any place online that sells them....I guess nobody does???

I will have to take a pic and post it to show you what I am talking about. I will do that tomorrow. If I can find quarters from an 87-89 and have to paint them, do you think priming them or painting them with a regular black paint first then going over it with the interior paint will help it help it hold up better??

I searched and searched and can't find any place online that sells them....I guess nobody does???

Don't take any offense do me giving ya a hard time bout the color difference :D

if you want my honest opinion, I would just dye the back belts, will they see alot of use?? If not I'd dye em for sure. I have a 86 model that I am fixing up, I have factory black parts that I could come up with, but as far as my rear quarter interior pieces, belts and other stuff in the rear I am gonna take my time, clean, prep and dye em because no one will ever be in the back anyways

Nylon (seat belt material) takes RIT dye pretty well. I'd try that before i shell out crazy money on black belts that are probably faded anyways.

I just now recall changing colors on a 89 S10 I had years ago, the belt was originally blue and I changed it to Tan, it held up for years and looked good. just be sure to mask off the metal buckle, take a stiff bristle brush and work the die in around the buckle in the hard to reach spots, take your time em and they will turn out good :nice:

I just now recall changing colors on a 89 S10 I had years ago, the belt was originally blue and I changed it to Tan, it held up for years and looked good. just be sure to mask off the metal buckle, take a stiff bristle brush and work the die in around the buckle in the hard to reach spots, take your time em and they will turn out good :nice:

What kind of dye??? RIT?? What is that???

Thanks for all the help. And don't worry I am not taking offense. Like I said the pics made it look 10 times more noticeable with the flash then in regular light. I was actually shocked when it was that bad. I first showed my buddy in the garage and he thought it was black too until I took the picture.

I still need to find new rear quarters from an 87-89 because the ones that were in it were cracked up in spots and the newer ones I have won't work.

I will take pics and post later on what I am talking about with the rear quarters.

Well.....my buddy wants to just order new seat belts for the rear and new sleeves for the front black belts he got. Any suggestions on a place to get them for the best price??? I found a few places that are around $200 just for the rear. Does anyone know of a cheaper place??